Page 1 of 7 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: "Talking Funny" premieres tonight on HBO

"Talking Funny" premieres tonight on HBO

What does it mean to be a successful comedian? How far can the boundaries of taste be pushed to get a laugh? Four top comics - Ricky Gervais, Louis C.K., Jerry Seinfeld and Chris Rock - discuss and debate their craft on the laugh-filled HBO presentation "Talking Funny", which debuts tonight at 9 PM ET/PT. Ricky Gervais is executive producer of the special, which was directed by John Moffitt.

In the special, the quartet reveal the secrets of their success, share hysterical anecdotes and jokes and remind each other of the valuable lessons they've learned along the way (including how to shamelessly pilfer each other's material). Each comic answers questions such as: "Who was the first funny kid you ever met?," "When is it time to add new material to your act?" and "How do you know when you've hit on the proverbial 'thing' that sets you apart?," giving quirky insights into what rocketed them to being the best in the business and at the top of their game.

The comedians also examine their own distinctive styles of comedy and discuss whether or not to use profanity, how one comic can recycle another comic's material into something new and fresh, and deciding whether a topic is off-limits, no matter how shocking it may be to the audience. When the dust settles and the spotlights are on, it all comes down to giving the audiences what they paid for - the laugh.

Here's a sneak preview of "Talking Funny":

Re: "Talking Funny" premieres tonight on HBO

our review, just posted:

http://punchlinemagazine.com/blog/20...enty-of-laughs

thanks.

-dylan

I remember some comedian, maybe Jerry, saying a long time ago that when comedians get together to talk and one of them says something funny they don't actually laugh, there is more of just an acknowledgment of "that was funny". So should we assume that the laughter here is forced or are these comedians so far removed from the competitive aspect of their profession that they are allowing themselves to enjoy it?

Quote Originally Posted by angryrobot View Post
    I remember some comedian, maybe Jerry, saying a long time ago that when comedians get together to talk and one of them says something funny they don't actually laugh, there is more of just an acknowledgment of "that was funny". So should we assume that the laughter here is forced or are these comedians so far removed from the competitive aspect of their profession that they are allowing themselves to enjoy it?
    I don't think you necessarily read/heard that quote correctly. Even if you watch the documentary Comedian, that stars Jerry Seinfeld, you'll see that he laughs when he's around many comedians when they're just talking/riffing.

I actually don't think it was Seinfeld that said that, I think it was Conan 'O Brian on Inside The Actors Studio. Conan was asked if he laughs while being pitched new ideas for his show, and he says he doesn't most of the time, and it's not to rip on anybody's material, it's just he's thinking about the funny within the bit. He then mentioned that Steve Martin and Lorne Michaels do the same thing.

So to answer your question: No, I don't think it'll be forced. Even people like Conan or Steve Martin will probably laugh while having regular conversations, it's just sometimes their brains are working out bits in their head. This will just be a conversation, not work.

I think comedians say all the time that their jadedness affects their ability to laugh. And sometimes they make jokes about that. That's different than comedians literally losing their ability to laugh, like some kind of mythological folk tale character that got tricked by a goblin into trading their laughs for a satchel of ducats.

I'm watching it now and really enjoying it, specifically the combo of Rock and CK.
    Just pretend this says something hilarious.
    A failed attempt at humor...

Why is there a non-working "Onion News Network" clip on the AST main page version of this thread? Am I the only one seeing that? (Feel free to edit all this out once that's fixed.) Anyway...

Best episode of "Comedy and Everything Else" I've ever seen. I wonder if the comedian who originally did the silly and crass "Dock of the Bay" parody got paid. Or Otis Redding's people, for that matter.

I enjoyed it, but I wish it was a little bit longer. Maybe another 30 minutes. I felt like they cut a lot of stuff from Chris Rock. Maybe they'll release this on DVD, with the entire discussion?

ASR

I loved this. There were some uncomfortable moments that really made it all seem so genuine, and I felt like this was some historic conversation being documented for comedy fans everywhere to study and enjoy.

I can't get enough of people dissecting Comedy. It was basically a filmed podcast. Loved it.

I'm not a laugh out loud guy, doesn't mean I don't appreciate humor. There is also a prior knowledge factor that make people laugh: for example, seeing any of those guys giving a very common observation in their own way/voice. Nothing to do with the delivery though, it's more about thinking "I know why you're going there/thinking that". It's more about the context and the person saying it. Like Gervais said at some point, his guilty pleasure is seeing Louis going off on a tangent and getting progressively angry/annoyed about his life/something.

I could have watched this for hours

"Sittin' on a cock 'cause I'm gay."

Ricky talked about maybe doing another one of these when he was on The Daily Show. Some names he should consider:

Dave Attell
    Dave Chappelle
    Brian Regan
    Patton Oswalt
    Janeane Garofalo
    Colin Quinn

I could listen to all those people (and the ones on the special) all day!
    "That dancer and I became really close friends. And back then he wasn't known as K-Fed or Federline. Back then his name was Chad Farthouse." -Zach Galifianakis

Adult Swim's Welcome Pages

Quote Originally Posted by mezmorized View Post
    Ricky talked about maybe doing another one of these when he was on The Daily Show. Some names he should consider:

Dave Attell
    Dave Chappelle
    Brian Regan
    Patton Oswalt
    Janeane Garofalo
    Colin Quinn

I could listen to all those people (and the ones on the special) all day!
    I think Gervais said he wants to do the next one as "Talking Talk", with Conan and Jon Stewart so far agreeing to do it. He asked Letterman when he was on the show, but I doubt he'd do it. Maybe Colbert, then?

Quote Originally Posted by Gern Blanston View Post
    I think Gervais said he wants to do the next one as "Talking Talk", with Conan and Jon Stewart so far agreeing to do it. He asked Letterman when he was on the show, but I doubt he'd do it. Maybe Colbert, then?
    Yeah I don't think he would be able to get the people he would need to make that a good special like this one. Which is why my list is an excellent plan B.
    "That dancer and I became really close friends. And back then he wasn't known as K-Fed or Federline. Back then his name was Chad Farthouse." -Zach Galifianakis

Adult Swim's Welcome Pages

ASR

The comparison to this being similar to a podcast is spot-on: that's what I was thinking the whole time. I'd love to see another one of these, even just another conversation with these same four. That "Talking Talk" idea sounds great, too.

Conan mentioned something in a tweet the other day that alluded to him being on a future ep:

ConanOBrien Conan O'Brien
    I have a strict "no promotion" policy in my tweets. I can't wait to discuss it on Ricky Gervais' hilarious new HBO show Talking Funny.

I loved this.

There are a million moments I could point to that stuck out to me, but one that I particularly liked was when Seinfeld said that Louis "tap-danced over laser beams" (or something to that effect) when he told that rape joke from Shameless. It's such a weirdly elegant and totally spot-on metaphor for what Louis pulls off with that joke, and to a larger extent, with his material in general.

And of course, I couldn't stop laughing at the "sittin' on a cock 'cause I'm gay" bit. I love that they came back to it after ostensibly changing the subject for two minutes.

I love this. Ricky is WAY too uptight about laughing at stupid jokes. If it's funny, it's funny. If it makes you laugh, then good. Don't analyze it or make it have to be so 'meta' to be acceptably funny.

Also, how could you think that laughter was forced? Louie was the color of a strawberry. You don't turn that red when you laugh if you don't mean it. Why would you believe because one comedian says that "comedians don't laugh" that it's actually true. I've seen (and heard) comedians laugh at each other tons of times. They're not superhumans or something.... christ.
    many tine tanies

Loved it to bits, was over in the blink of an eye. God, I hope he does more.

Was really surprised to see Gervais having such a hard time accepting that cock+gay+Otis is hysterical, no irony required. Can't remembered who asked "Did he do the whistle?" Genius points.

The note about staying in the mood of the bit (during an applause break) was great; filed away in case it ever happens to me!

Page 1 of 7 123456 ... LastLast