Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Letterman's "Late Show" Beats "Tonight" for First Time in 7 Months

Letterman's "Late Show" Beats "Tonight" for First Time in 7 Months

In discouraging yet perhaps expected news for Conan O'Brien, David Letterman's "Late Show" bested "The Tonight Show" in the overnight ratings Tuesday for the first time since October 2008. "Late Show" garnered a 3.4 rating Tuesday versus a 2.9 for "Tonight." The 2.9 rating for "Tonight" continued a daily slide since O'Brien's debut as host last Monday.

In related news, Letterman's Worldwide Pants is said to be close to a contract extension that would keep "Late Show" on CBS through 2012. The current contract expires in 2010. Add it all up, and it seems as if David Letterman is clearly having...the Best Week Ever!

Re: Letterman's "Late Show" Beats "Tonight" for First Time in 7 Months

Why is this discouraging?

Discouraging for Conan O'Brien is how I intended that to read.

Personally, I think it's great.

If people would rather watch Letterman awkwardly flirt with Julia Roberts than watch Conan being funny, then I weep for America.
    (Not really, but I find Dave's show boring, is my point)

Boos to Brasky. Sorry.

Oh well, I guess I couldn't maintain my perfect record of positively rated posts forever.

Seriously though, why do people like Letterman so much? I admit I don't really watch the comedy part of his show much, but his interviews are pretty dull.

I'm not the guy to do it, but I'm sure someone can explain how he reinvented the late night talk show and changed broadcasting forever with innovative segments that deconstructed the medium like no one before him ever did. Of course, that was a long time ago. I still think he's got the stuff, but he's been transitioning into living legend/icon (as opposed to innovator or vital comedy creator) for more than a decade.

I don't think his interviews were ever "the thing" (except maybe when he booked weirdos), although I do like that he refuses to play the game (faux interest, set up the plug) at times. People criticize his apparent lack of interest, but at least it's genuine (and it can be funny). I thought he was very funny and quick in that recent Joaquin Phoenix trainwreck interview. Letterman was put on NBC at 12:30 for a generation that felt like Carson was their parents' talk show host, and part of that juxtaposition involved shunning the polished, congenial conversation that Carson managed to carry out so seamlessly. I think Letterman still carries that iconoclastic, rebel mentality with him. It's just weird, sometimes, to see a rebel grow old.

Letterman should pull a Leno and have his show from 10 to 11. I don't think their battle is through just yet!

Also he brought the world Chris Elliott, and if you don't like him that is grounds for being called a cunt.
    Garrett Gonzalez Morris (born February 1, 1937) is an American comedian and actor from New Orleans, Louisiana. He was part of the original cast of the sketch comedy program Saturday Night Live, appearing from 1975 to 1980

For the British flautist, see Gareth Morris.

brasky, you could probably take all those "lifetime pass" posts about conan in the new tonight show thread and substitute letterman's name.
    "This is not the Beach Boys. It can't be. Why? No beach songs! I thought it was some kind of joke. All 'Pet Sounds' offers is the opportunity to hear Brian Wilson whine for forty minutes, backed by elevator music. There's barely any Mike Love on the album at all."

Quote Originally Posted by BillBrasky View Post
    Oh well, I guess I couldn't maintain my perfect record of positively rated posts forever.

Seriously though, why do people like Letterman so much? I admit I don't really watch the comedy part of his show much, but his interviews are pretty dull.
    Why would you judge a late night host based solely on interviews? The comedy is pretty much the only reason to watch any of these shows. Although I do find Dave very entertaining even during interviews if the guest is interesting in any way. Last week's Paris Hilton segment was hilarious.

If you simply perceive him as a dirty old man, you'll probably never overcome that. But as someone who grew up when it was a treat to stay up and watch Late Night, I think Letterman hasn't lost much on his fastball and is still the best around.

(I was in the audience for Late Night's 8th Anniversary special at Universal Amphitheater, which coincidentally is a stone's throw from where Conan is now taping The Tonight Show.)

I think Conan would tell us that without Letterman, there would be no Conan.

I'm saying Letterman is Conan's father.

Quote Originally Posted by isoS View Post
    I think Conan would tell us that without Letterman, there would be no Conan.

I'm saying Letterman is Conan's father.
    DUDE! Spoiler tag!!!!!

Conan: Jay told me enough! He told me that you killed him!

Letterman: No, I am your father.

I watched Conan's first episode, but since then I've gone back to Letterman. I just find him and his show to be funnier.

Oh, sure, I didn't mean to imply that Letterman NEVER was funny. Of course his NBC show was groundbreaking, and all the stuff that Chris Elliott did on his show was great.
    I'm just talking about him now. I've watched the Top Ten Lists a few times in recent years, and they seem pretty lame now. What other comedy bits does he do that are consistently funny?

I think the mark of a good interviewer is if they can make an interview with somebody I'm not interested in entertaining. I don't particularly like Julia Louis Dreyfus all that much, but she went on Conan and they did a bit and it was reasonably funny. I guess I'm missing why Letterman drooling all over Paris Hilton is all that great.

This is sort of akin to people complaining about The Simpsons. Yes, The Simpsons was great in its prime, but do you really hear anybody saying "It's the best show on the air!" anymore?
    Last edited by BillBrasky; June 11, 2009 at 10:30 AM.

The top ten list has always been lame.

The thing that's funny about the show is: David Letterman.

http://www.thrfeed.com/2009/06/conan...letterman.html

"The Tonight Show" reversed its ratings decline and showed growth for the first time Wednesday night. Also, new ratings for O'Brien's first week behind the "Tonight" desk give NBC a record-setting lead over CBS' "Late Show" among adults 18-49.

After seven nights of drops, NBC's "Tonight" may have found its bottom. The talk show rebounded 10% from Monday's performance, climbing to a 3.2 last night in the household ratings.

That was enough to edge out David Letterman's "Late Show," which had bested O'Brien's "Tonight" in the overnights for the first time Tuesday evening. Letterman pulled a 3.1 rating, dropping slightly from the previous night.

Letterman's lower number comes after headline-making jokes about Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin's daughter. On Wednesday's show, Letterman gave a lengthy explanation/apology for his comments, and invited Palin onto his program. O'Brien welcomed Dane Cook as guest; Letterman had Kathy Griffin and Stupid Human Tricks.

Though overnight household ratings (which measure approximate overall viewership) have grown tighter between the two programs since O'Brien took over "The Tonight Show," newly released adult demo numbers portray last week's competition as an NBC blowout.

The advertiser-coveted adults 18-49 ratings give O'Brien a 2.3 average rating last week -- the highest-rated week for "Tonight" in more than four years and a 156% margin over CBS' "Late Show."

Even excluding the high-rated Monday premiere, "Tonight" held an 111% advantage over "Late Show," marking the best percentage advantage over the CBS program in more than 10 years. Even on their closest night, Friday, O'Brien received a 1.5 rating to Letterman's 0.8.

The numbers helped push “Late Night with Jimmy Fallon” to its highest weeklong demo rating yet (1.0), with a 67% margin over CBS’s “Late Late Show with Craig Ferguson." Also, "Last Call with Carson Daly" delivered its biggest rating (0.6) since 2007.

NBC issued a press release declaring O'Brien "The New King of Late Night."

“This is beyond our wildest expectations,” said Rick Ludwin, executive vp, late night and primetime series, NBC Entertainment. “Conan has brought new younger viewers to 11:35 pm and we're gratified that the demographic trend has continued here in week two, where the early numbers continue to show dominant victories, in all the key categories, for ‘The Tonight Show’.”

did somebody say

DEMOGRAPHICS?!

that post is missing a [blink] tag, isos. how are you going to get the young (and epileptic) to read your post?
    "This is not the Beach Boys. It can't be. Why? No beach songs! I thought it was some kind of joke. All 'Pet Sounds' offers is the opportunity to hear Brian Wilson whine for forty minutes, backed by elevator music. There's barely any Mike Love on the album at all."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast