Thread: "Casa De Mi Padre" is out in theaters today

"Casa De Mi Padre" is out in theaters today

"Casa de Mi Padre", a new comedy film starring Will Ferrell, is out today in limited release, playing on only 368 screens, a fraction of what Ferrell’s movies typically receive. The film is shot in the style of an overly dramatic Spanish telenovela and tells the story of Armando Alvarez, who must save his father's ranch from a powerful drug lord. Gael Garcia Bernal plays a family friend, Diego Luna plays Alvarez's brother and Genesis Rodriguez plays Alvarez's love interest in the film. The movie is directed by Matt Piedmont and written by Andrew Steele, two frequent collaborators with Ferrell since his "Saturday Night Live" days, and is produced by Adam McKay's Gary Sanchez Productions.

So far, the film has received mixed reviews from critics, with an overall score of 45% on Rotten Tomatoes based on a aggregation of 60 reviews. Claudia Puig of USA Today declared, "This very funny spoof of telenovelas and classic Mexican westerns is decidedly offbeat and absurdly daffy", while Todd McCarthy of The Hollywood Reporter stated, "It makes sense that this Spanish-lingo farce plays very much like an SNL sketch. The only problem is that it packs about as many laughs into its 85 minutes as a good skit does in eight or 10".

Re: "Casa De Mi Padre" is out in theaters today

This review is more promising, describing the movie as a potential future cult classic (some slight spoilers):

http://www.dustinputman.com/reviews/...ademipadre.htm

Has anyone seen this?! Agh I relied on reviews here to determine if I was going to use part of my $25 AMC gift card on this movie today!

Saw it. Liked it. The joke wears out after a while, but there are enough absurdist touches along the way that there's usually something funny going on. The native Spanish-speaking actors have a lot of fun with ridiculous over (Luna) and under (Vernal) acting.

I have now seen it. And I feel your review is pretty accurate. It reminded me of Nacho Libre (which I enjoyed) with more absurdity in choices rather than the script. It seemed as if the script was written almost entirely serious but they just made humorous choices on the spot during shooting. Pretty enjoyable.

I knew this would be funny but I did not expect to love it this much.