Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Things you are ashamed to admit

Things you are ashamed to admit

I know we had a thread like this at one point, but I thought I'd bring it up again to ask if anyone agrees with me about something that I didn't want to admit on the main forum.

I didn't find "Ass Backwards" to be all that funny. I watched it once and wasn't sure if maybe I was in a bad mood or not, but I watched it again last night and I still found it to be kind of a disappointment. I like Casey Wilson and June Diane Raphael a lot and I was really looking forward to their movie, maybe a little too much, especially when I saw it compared to "Romy and Michelle's High School Reunion", a movie I liked very much. But Casey and June's characters in this movie, while certainly as dumb as Romy & Michelle, never really become as funny or as likeable. And the situations they find themselves in while they're on the way to the talent pageant I just never found to be very amusing.

I thought Casey was great on "Happy Endings" and I look forward to the projects they are working on together now, but I found their movie to be an unfortunate misfire. It's a shame because I know it was very personal to them and they put a lot of their time and effort and money into it. I don't think the problem with the movie was necessarily their performances, as they are funny performers and Casey is a very good physical comedienne; I think it's just the movie had a lack of "heart" which kept you from engaging with the characters the way R&M did.

I notice that there hasn't been much comment about it on the boards since it came out so I can only assume people here were similarly indifferent to it, or else just not many people have seen it yet. But am I really off base?

1 members found this post helpful.

Re: Things you are ashamed to admit

While technically impressive, I find Idina Menzel's voice to be shrill and unpleasant!

I don't like Girls. The aesthetic, the characters, and the setting are completely repellent to me. Unfortunately my girlfriend thinks Girls ought to be a teaching series for all men everywhere about the real problems women face, and takes my not liking it personally.

She loves it so much she even tracked down a crappy episode of SVU where Adam plays a sketchy lab technician.
    I'm in.

I hate everything and am very proud of my bravery.

4 members found this post helpful.

While I can clearly understand it on an intellectual level, and while I love the first few seasons of Curb Your Enthusiasm, I do not like Seinfeld.

This is the correct thread for this, right? No one will yell at me on this thread, right?

2 members found this post helpful.

I'm not "ashamed" of not liking Ass Backwards. Just kind of sad because I really, really like everyone involved in it and I was pulling for its success.

@Fritz I definitely "get" a lot of critically acclaimed shows like Curb, Arrested Development, Seinfeld, and every Judd Apatow joint. I get why they're beloved, and I don't have that nails-on-a-chalkboard feeling like when I'm in a room and Two and a Half Men or an Adam Sandler or Farrelly Brothers flick is on. But I've never been able to move past a sort of abstract, intellectual admiration from a distance on those. They don't sing to me.
    Last edited by Staircaseghost; January 14, 2014 at 7:53 AM.
    "You must gather your party before venturing forth."

http://twitter.com/staircaseghost

I don't find "The State" to be the groundbreaking, amazing sketch series a lot of people say it is, although I've really enjoyed the work of most of the members since it ended. I've tried to watch the show many times and it never even makes me chuckle.

I'd also mention the time I got high on meth in Mexico and fled the scene of a car accident, but I think this thread is intended only for comedy-related shame?

All right -- there's stuff I find funny, and there's stuff I don't find funny. But I once watched an entire season of "Strangers With Candy" trying to figure out what was even SUPPOSED to be funny about it. Like, I'm not sure what part of that show was intended to be humorous. It still baffles me.

I'm also one of the few people who prefers the post-Larry David era of Seinfeld. I do like the Larry David era too, though. Can't deal with Curb Your Enthusiasm -- it's like the comedy version of Oedipus Rex, just everyone walking around waiting for the other shoe to drop. But at least I understand how it works.

I guess this is the right place to admit this, but I am also finding the new season of Eagleheart to kind of be more "weird" than "funny". Hope Jason Woliner doesn't read this thread!

Quote Originally Posted by pissedpissedofferson View Post
    I don't like Girls. The aesthetic, the characters, and the setting are completely repellent to me. Unfortunately my girlfriend thinks Girls ought to be a teaching series for all men everywhere about the real problems women face, and takes my not liking it personally.

She loves it so much she even tracked down a crappy episode of SVU where Adam plays a sketchy lab technician.
    Don't EVER be ashamed of not liking Girls.
    I obviously have nothing interesting to add to this conversation.

ashamed to admit i waste energy on judging some of you.
    the cosby show. a different world. cheers. wings.

4 members found this post helpful.

Pssst...

I despise nearly everything "Tim & Eric."

5 members found this post helpful.

Oh, Kurt, you're my hero.

Not comedy related but I am completely unable to make it past the halfway point of the first season of Mad Men. I recognize that it's well made but it just does absolutely nothing for me.
    I obviously have nothing interesting to add to this conversation.

I think I'd be ok with The Simpsons and South Park not making any more new episodes...

3 members found this post helpful.

the day both my parents died was the moment I started finding them sexually attractive
    EXCLUSIVE PICS OF MY teenage neighbor IN ACTION CLICK HERE

10 members found this post helpful.

oh sorry, i mean, I haven't seen anchorman 2 yet
    EXCLUSIVE PICS OF MY teenage neighbor IN ACTION CLICK HERE

5 members found this post helpful.

back in the day (showing my age) I used to dress like PM Dawn. Even worse I was influenced by Prince and Terrence Trent Darby and wore a leather jacket with fringes w spandex pants, a high top fade and bandanas, peace necklaces and...nevermind, I knew it was a mistake to come here.

Quote Originally Posted by Recury View Post
    I think I'd be ok with The Simpsons and South Park not making any more new episodes...
    I don't think anyone needs to apologize for being OK with the Simpsons not making any more episodes. Even if you're the biggest fan of the show in the world, it's been on for nearly 25 years. Everything has to end at some point. The show is kind of more of a chore to watch now than anything else. The worst thing is that to compensate for having done nearly every plotline a show could possibly do, they are trying to cram the show with so many jokes now (like in the recent Christmas episode with the multiple freeze-frame DVD covers) that it becomes exhausting trying to keep up with them all. Sometimes they need to realize that simpler is better.

South Park is a little bit of a different story because there have been much fewer episodes and they take a lot of time off between their little mini-seasons. They are still capable of being topical and funny as they showed with their most recent season, so I don't mind them doing one 14-episode complete season every year.

Quote Originally Posted by BillBrasky View Post
    South Park is a little bit of a different story because there have been much fewer episodes and they take a lot of time off between their little mini-seasons. They are still capable of being topical and funny as they showed with their most recent season, so I don't mind them doing one 14-episode complete season every year.
    I disagree. South Park should end because it's so clearly Trey & Matt's lowest priority anymore. They invest so little time and energy into each season that each week you don't know if you're going to get something smart & funny or 22 minutes of privileged libertarian diarrhea.
    I'm in.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast