Page 2 of 33 FirstFirst 123456712 ... LastLast

Thread: Start Being So Self Actualized and Appealing

Re: Stop Being So Fat and Disgusting

I lost 25 pounds this year so far. I plan on losing another 20 to be my ideal. I have the feeling it will be much harder than the first 25. I did it by taking about 3 months to develop good habits of eating before I dieted. It helped so that the very hard work of the diet felt much easier and that if I fell I know I could fall back to something where I would still lose weight but very very slowly. There is so much hard about dieting that it helps to not be thinking about milanos or cookies when you are trying to avoid sandwiches.

That skip the mayo stuff puts the cart before the horse. You need to make the I-am-going-to-skip-the-soda-or-the-mayo decision-making to keep weight off, but it muddies the issue up of how to actually get to where you want to be (unless you are only a few pounds overweight). I just think that kind of decision making should be put into a context of decisions you make because you don't hate yourself rather than the context of make these decisions and you won't hate yourself.

Welp folks, I am a certified personal trainer so if anyone has any questions or would like some suggestions on some great articles to read I'm your man

I've read* that a high-fat breakfast is key to kick-starting your metabolism for the day. These are supposed to be good fats, mind you, and not of the red-meat persuasion. So there might be something to Disco's avocado omelets. (The Del-Taco doesn't fit into this scheme, however.)

To people who prefer gyms to working out at home, I say, "Do you prefer public toilets?"** I workout to the P90X, but I can't for the life of me get on the actual recommended schedule. I was supposed to do Legs and Back followed by the Ab Ripper X this morning, but my back simply won't allow the added strain of that extra excruciating 17 minutes of aggressive core work. I workout for at least an hour, 5-6 days a week. WHY ISN'T THAT ENOUGH? I still look like a 19th century strong man: some muscle, but with no definition whatsoever.

Oh, right. The drinking. Well, I'm working on getting that down. I'm not ready to deal with these issues in front of people yet. Otherwise, I like this thread and was considering starting one just like it.

On second thought, let's just complain about how annoying Tony Horton (T-HOR) is. Who's with me?

*My wife read and then told it to me.
    **Recycled from my Twitter.

How does Hip Hop Abs fit into your regimen?
    "There was no joke in there words-wise" - Andy Kindler

"Defend your book, NERD!" - Graham Elwood

ArchStanton: My brother and I love like a lesbian couple

I only do it on request.

Folks who are wondering about breakfast should read this:

http://charlespoliquin.com/Blog/tabi...t-Cereals.aspx

His tone can be a bit overbearing but the information is spot on.

Guy's a douchebag. Women are the only ones eating cereal for breakfast??
    many tine tanies

Of course not, but they are more way more likely to take the "health conscious" approach do stuff like buy "health" cereals that have more sugar per serving than Cinnamon Toast Crunch

If you say so... I don't know that I would label it "Why women can't lose weight"

There are way too many factors to declare that. Gross.
    many tine tanies

My (fat, miserable) roommate (who only eats severely processed food and gets no semblance of exercise whatsoever) buys that "healthy" "oat-and-yogurt-and-blueberries-and-chocolate-flake-cluster" cereal. My other roommate and I were looking at the nutrition information yesterday when he wasn't around. 210 calories per serving (with milk). "Not too bad" says my one roommate. I grab an adjacent box of Golden Grahams. 160 calories per serving (with milk).
    Last edited by Umlaut; August 16, 2010 at 3:23 PM. Reason: keepin my parallel structure more parallel dont h8

11. The post by Berliner is hidden due to low votes. Click expand to view it.

But General Mills says that Lucky Charms and Trix are giving our kids* the healthy boost they need to take on karate class and swimming competitions!

*I don't have kids.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Umlaut View Post
    My (fat, miserable) roommate (who only eats severely processed food and gets no semblance of exercise whatsoever) buys that "healthy" "oat-and-yogurt-and-blueberries-and-chocolate-flake-cluster" cereal. My other roommate and I were looking at the nutrition information yesterday when he wasn't around. 210 calories per serving (with milk). "Not too bad" says my one roommate. I grab an adjacent box of Golden Grahams. 160 calories per serving (with milk).
    What's the serving size, hot shot? What's the serving size?!

Quote Originally Posted by Big McLargehuge View Post
    (The Del-Taco doesn't fit into this scheme, however.)
    My main point about the tacos was that they can actually be a part of a low-carb diet (9 carbs per taco [15 for Taco Supremes at Taco Bell]) for those who have trouble eating nothing but meat and salad for several months in a row.

Yes, tacos are essentially meat and salad inside of an edible container, but you catch my drift...

Quote Originally Posted by Berliner View Post
    For whatever reason, I can never eat breakfast. It makes me nauseous to eat food in the morning. Describe just how unhealthy this is.
    I'm the same way. I find that smoothies are a wonderful way around it. Frozen fruit & a little yogurt...maybe some protein powder...light, even refreshing, and like sippin' dessert. Problem is they don't go so well with coffee. I need powdered caffeine or something.

Also, re: thread title, don't tell me what to do.

Nobody should listen to Dr. Phil about anything. He's the anti-Dan Savage and I want to crush his fat head like a Troma watermelon.

16. The post by Berliner is hidden due to low votes. Click expand to view it.

If you have some yogurt, some berries and a bit of water, you can make a quick smoothie that gives you protien with just a little sugar. Whole milk yogurt would work really well... I used to only make them with juice or milk as the liquid, but water works well and doesn't take away from the flavor that much.

I tend to lean towards carbs in the morning so I have a low-cal, high fiber english muffin with a shitload of peanut butter on it. I only do this at work because I can't have peanut butter in the house. I'll eat the whole jar.
    many tine tanies

I think (and keep in mind, I don't know dick about shit) carbs are the big concern when you're trying to lose weight, and kicking off the day with protein boosts your metabolism or something. There are definitely readymade breakfast shake things but eff that noise, just get some delicious fruit (you can get comically large bags of frozen strawberries and such at Price Club/Sam's/Costco) and some yogurt and/or whey protein (unless you're vegan) and you're all set.

They can be, but I ate [mostly] the right kind of carbs and was losing around .5 - 1 pound per week and keeping it off. Which is good for someone my size. I think it's all about balance.
    many tine tanies

Yeah fiber's like magic. Why don't they teach this shit in school?*

*it's because The Man wants to destroy the middle class

Page 2 of 33 FirstFirst 123456712 ... LastLast