Page 288 of 322 FirstFirst ... 278283284285286287288289290291292293298 ... LastLast
Results 5,741 to 5,760 of 6440

Thread: Sporots

Re: Sporots

Lawrence Frank was 33 when he took over the New Jersey Nets.
    Hey, check me out. I'm a ghost.

Quote Originally Posted by scamboogah View Post
    Lawrence Frank was 33 when he took over the New Jersey Nets.
    Wow, it has to be weird coaching players who are older than that.

Me!

My poor Blazers!!!!
    Formally Max Geinachoff.

That's Portland going full tank, though if they get something like pick 8 from New Jersey, and then get a similar pick themselves, they can rebuild quickly, and give the team a higher ceiling.

I hate what the Lakers did. I don't want them to be good, and changing from Fisher and Murphy to Sessions and Hill is a big upgrade.

The fact that smart teams royally screwed over dumb teams in terms of money was interesting. The going rate for late 1sts has typically been around 3 million. Spurs saved about $12 million for a 1st, Lakers saved 10 million or so in the Cavs trade(and got Sessions), and quite a bit in the Houston trade aswell. Denver got out from Nene's contract.

I don't think any of the trades really shook up the main contenders chances too much, It's still Miami/Chicago/OKC to me, though Lakers may have bumped towards the top of the 2nd group.

Also, Madness was relatively subdued.

Really Missouri? Really?

Yeah that Lakers trade sucks for Lakerhaters. Argh. I wanted Luke Walton hanging around their necks at least one more year. Now they can amnesty a different player next year. (Maybe Artest) That gives them cap room for one more run with Kobe. FUCK YOU LAKERS.

Thankfully Duke lost.
    "Not the victory but the action. Not the goal but the game. In the deed the glory."

Really Duke? Really?

Anyone that knows me knows I've been touting Norfolk St. and Lehigh all year! I'd write a longer post, but I have to change my pants, due to the fact that they are currently on fire.

bao

Very simple rule of thumb, and, seemingly, the only rule of thumb that actually applies to the tournament: team's with low defensive efficiency ratings never, ever, ever make it to the final four. Period. Even if they are ranked highly in offensive efficiency. Rarely do they even make deep runs. The stats on this are crazy. I think one team ranked outside the top 50 in defensive efficiency has made the final 8 in the last 7 years.

Missouri: 1st in offensive efficiency, 76th in defense.
    Duke: 9th and 62nd.

Perfect profile for upset victims. That said, Norfolk State? Lehigh?

In other words, if you had Duke or Missouri making deep runs in the tournament, you deserve what happened to your bracket.

Quote Originally Posted by bao View Post
    Very simple rule of thumb, and, seemingly, the only rule of thumb that actually applies to the tournament: team's with low defensive efficiency ratings never, ever, ever make it to the final four. Period. Even if they are ranked highly in offensive efficiency. Rarely do they even make deep runs. The stats on this are crazy. I think one team ranked outside the top 50 in defensive efficiency has made the final 8 in the last 7 years.

In other words, if you had Duke or Missouri making deep runs in the tournament, you deserve what happened to your bracket.
    This is true. I argued a point about that with a guy who said you can't go far if you don't score a lot of points and I pointed him to teamrankings.com and settled that debate. But as far as Duke and Missouri, I think we all had them at least winning the first round game. In other news ND and Alabama got robbed.

bao

Quote Originally Posted by funkyrhino View Post
    This is true. I argued a point about that with a guy who said you can't go far if you don't score a lot of points and I pointed him to teamrankings.com and settled that debate. But as far as Duke and Missouri, I think we all had them at least winning the first round game. In other news ND and Alabama got robbed.
    Agreed and agreed, to a point.

I think both Notre Dame and Alabama were clearly the second-best team in both their games, but they both almost stole cheap victories -- and probably would have had it not been for some terrible officiating.

Creighton and Xavier were both dominating those games, but missed free throws down the stretch that let two lesser teams hang around. One the one hand, they deserved to be punished for not closing, but on the other hand, I am confident that in both cases the better team advanced. No harm, no foul?

That said, the lane violation calls that completely changed the complexion of the Notre Dame and Syracuse games were total and complete horseshit. Petty lane violations (neither was egregious) are allowed to happen all the time. Why tighten up that call in the final seconds? Let them play.

(Also, I can't help but think ND gets beat by 5+ if that game goes to OT)

EDIT: but I do reiterate that those who had Duke and Missouri making DEEP runs (anything beyond the Sweet 16) deserve their fate.

The lane violation in the Syracuse game was bullshit, but the ND one was totally egregious. The guy was past the free throw line before the ball hit the rim.

One thing from yesterday that drove me crazy was how bad the clock operators are and how inconsistently the refs fix it. In the FSU game with 1 min left 5 full seconds rolled off while FSU inbounded the ball, there were several other examples but that one was the worst.

VCU and Butler last year ranked outside the top 50 but for the most part you are right in this stat.

bao

VCU and Butler last year ranked outside the top 50 but for the most part you are right in this stat.
    To be fair, you are correct -- even this hard rule (about defensive efficiency) has taken a hit in the last few years, becoming just a rule of thumb, as a bunch of pretty dodgy teams have made the Final 8 and even Final 4 in the last couple of years.

Andy Rooney Tournament Observation #1: is it me, or does Kansas State play, year in and year out, like Frank Martin looks: big shoulders, a little head, a lot of grit, and a protruding brow ridge. Kansas State plays the way the game was played before the invention of fire. If they had more than one skilled big, who could make unskilled baskets at a relatively efficient rate, they'd ... well, they'd be Kentucky, not Kansas State. Lotta heart, lotta muscle, but they just can't put the lotion in the basket.

In related news: Syracuse is there to be had, Vandy. Just have to beat the world's most aggravating team first.

This tournament IMO may turn out to be a cake walk for Kentucky. If Marshall isn't at full strength for UNC then they may be toast because he's responsible for about 30 of their points via assist and his own baskets. They may have a dog fight with Ohio. Syracuse and Wisconsin will be a grudge match, Bo Ryans Flex vs Boeheims stingy 2-3 zone. Florida and Marquette should be a good one! Michigan St and Louisville. Argh! I (Louisville) did not want to be in their bracket. Our record vs the Big 10 since 2001/2002 is 3-7. I do not see this game going well for us 60-52 MSU.

Cards baby!!!

Orioles killed it today. A travel squad against the Twins starters!

It's pretty awful when your team peaks in Spring Training

eff Jason Smith whatta hole, not football, boob.

bao

Cards baby!!!
    Man, I was dreading this game as soon as I saw the brackets, and it turned out so much worse than I expected. Louisville was just matchup kryptonite for Michigan State. A dirty little secret about this MSU team was that they couldn't handle shot blockers in the middle (see UNC game for evidence) -- their bigs are very efficient, but bulky, not very tall, and not super athletic; and their outside shooting is suspect. Luckily for them, they did not see many shot blockers in the Big Ten, but I knew it'd come back to bite them in the ass eventually. I just thought it would be against Kentucky in the Final Four. I didn't think Louisville could score enough points to beat us ... anyway, hats off to Louisville. Dominated us.

That said (and I realize nobody cares), this was one of my favorite Michigan State teams ever. They played great all season, and even earned a #1 seed without a single recruit (save for Branden Dawson, who was hurt) who would have ranked in Louisville's top five (much less UNC's, Kentucky's, or any of the other 1-2 seeds). Great job by Izzo, and I am officially introducing Dayday Green into the pantheon of my five favorite college basketball players ever (joining David Wingate, Danny Manning, Jacques Vaughn, and Morris Peterson). Prestigious company, no?

I agree that the bracket is laying down pretty nice for Kentucky. Assuming Marshall is hurt, I think Ohio State is the only team left that can match up with them. That would actually be a pretty great championship game -- basically two NBA teams going at it.

Also, Pitino coaching against Donovan in the final 8: the slimiest coaching matchup in NCAA history? It will be, until one of them coaches against John Calipari in the final four.

PS: sorry this is so long, but it was cathartic.

Man, I was dreading this game as soon as I saw the brackets, and it turned out so much worse than I expected. Louisville was just matchup kryptonite for Michigan State. A dirty little secret about this MSU team was that they couldn't handle shot blockers in the middle (see UNC game for evidence) -- their bigs are very efficient, but bulky, not very tall, and not super athletic; and their outside shooting is suspect. Luckily for them, they did not see many shot blockers in the Big Ten, but I knew it'd come back to bite them in the ass eventually. I just thought it would be against Kentucky in the Final Four. I didn't think Louisville could score enough points to beat us ... anyway, hats off to Louisville. Dominated us.

That said (and I realize nobody cares), this was one of my favorite Michigan State teams ever. They played great all season, and even earned a #1 seed without a single recruit (save for Branden Dawson, who was hurt) who would have ranked in Louisville's top five (much less UNC's, Kentucky's, or any of the other 1-2 seeds). Great job by Izzo, and I am officially introducing Dayday Green into the pantheon of my five favorite college basketball players ever (joining David Wingate, Danny Manning, Jacques Vaughn, and Morris Peterson). Prestigious company, no?

I agree that the bracket is laying down pretty nice for Kentucky. Assuming Marshall is hurt, I think Ohio State is the only team left that can match up with them. That would actually be a pretty great championship game -- basically two NBA teams going at it.

Also, Pitino coaching against Donovan in the final 8: the slimiest coaching matchup in NCAA history? It will be, until one of them coaches against John Calipari in the final four.

PS: sorry this is so long, but it was cathartic.
    That's a weird selection of your favorite players. Wingate? Vaughn?

As far as MSU players. They have about 2-3 guys who could start for us. Siva and Chane were McDonalds All Americans but Kuric was a walk on, Chris Smith a transfer from Manhatten college, Dieng was a third choice backup recruit after we lost Jeremy Tyler to Europe and Fab Melo went to Syracuse (thank God because it came back to bite them); Russ Smith was a 2 star recruit who thought about transferring. Other than Siva, Chane and Blackshear the majority of MSU's roster were higher ranked than ours.

Anyway I don't know how I feel about Florida. They lead the nation in points behind the arc and we will zone them so I expect them to hit their average of 8-10 3 pointers. Offensively we're ugly but we have been known to cause fits on the defensive end. Florida is the type of team though were 10-12 point leads aren't safe unlike Michigan St IMO.
    That said if we do win I don't want to face UK. Just too much balance of a strong offense and a strong defense. The key to UK is going down the stretch with them without folding; Vandy did it, Indiana did it, even Florida did it before losing in the SEC tourney. If you can make it to that 3-4 minute mark in the game within a possession you have a great chance. However most teams fold by the 10 minute mark of the second half.
    I haven't watched enough of Baylor to give an assessment of how they would fair against Kentucky.
    OSU looked strong last night against Cincy, even when Cincy rallied.

On another note that was an interesting move for Shaka to stay at VCU and turn down Illinois. Illinois is not a bad program, they rank 10th in attendance but maybe he's holding out for a UConn type gig.
    Last edited by funkyrhino; March 23, 2012 at 10:03 AM.

Well, that Wolves/Thunder game was something.
    Hey, check me out. I'm a ghost.

2 members found this post helpful.

LinkBacks (?)

1. September 8, 2009, 12:38 PM