Page 136 of 169 FirstFirst ... 126131132133134135136137138139140141146 ... LastLast
Results 2,701 to 2,720 of 3377

Thread: Mad Men

Re: Mad Men

Quote Originally Posted by smartbunny View Post
    Zou Bisou Bisou?
    Perfect example of diegetic music. They always pick the right songs that are actually being heard, sung, etc. in the scene.

Mais oui! Tres auxiliaire!

(French extraction!)

That episode was amazing. I want to make love to it. I want it's baby inside of me.

Hallucinogenics are always tricky in movies and TV. It can end up being too Fear and Loathing or too hippy dippy. It's never going to match the experience. The cool thing to me was them laying on the floor. The drug pulling down all their walls. (I'm pretty sure they use to use MDMA for that very thing.)

It may help with your suspension of disbelief to note that this was most likely very very pure LSD.
    "Not the victory but the action. Not the goal but the game. In the deed the glory."

Some notes I'd like to make about this episode:

Roger and Don's stories were parallel. Both took trips to try become closer to their wives, and both trips resulted in the demise of the relationship. The whole time I was watching it I was thinking about a snake eating it's tail. I realized later that I was thinking of that because of the way these two partake in their own destruction.

You can look at the specific objects that caused the destruction as similar. Ice Cream and LSD both being sugary and digestible.

The two's relationships arc's with their spouses were dissimilar. Don's was scary, deceitful, and aggressive; While Roger's was mutual, honest, and peaceful. But both Roger and Don "looked at the truth" about their relationships with their wives.

Some notes about the story in general:
    I was thinking about Fat Betty as the Model Consumer. I haven't studied the "Fat Betty" episode since I thought of that, so I was wondering if anyone on here cared to comment.

Again I'm going to ask that people check out "The Century of Self" as companion material to Mad Men. It's about Freud and his Nephew and the Manipulation of the Masses (Making people want things they don't need, by linking mass produced goods to their unconscious desires.)
    Wanted to ask if anyone had any good companion material for the show.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jUYFr-uDQgg

also the driving in the car green screen looked fake.

2 members found this post helpful.

As far as an LSD trip, isn't it different for everyone? Or are there universal truths about it? I've only ever smoked pot, but I know if someone on TV is high on weed and they start seeing things or being all manic, thats pretty much phony because pot doesn't do that.

... I know if someone on TV is high on weed and they start seeing things or being all manic, thats pretty much phony because pot doesn't do that.
    Pot affects different people in different ways. It's the same as every other drug, including alcohol.
    Meen Bellpeppers : NOBODY BADMOUTHS SORBET IN MY CHAT

So Roger's trip was exclusive to Roger, as was everyone else's. Even though people here have had different experiences.

1 members found this post helpful.

I know if someone on TV is high on weed and they start seeing things or being all manic, thats pretty much phony because pot doesn't do that.
    Oh it's possible to hallucinate on weed. It's why I don't do edibles anymore.

It's why I eat edibles and smoke weed.

I sent this entire thread to the DEA, hippies!

5 members found this post helpful.

(trumpet sound)

As far as an LSD trip, isn't it different for everyone? Or are there universal truths about it? I've only ever smoked pot, but I know if someone on TV is high on weed and they start seeing things or being all manic, thats pretty much phony because pot doesn't do that.
    While it's true that drugs will cause different people to act differently, the broad effects are similar. Alcohol impairs your judgment either way, whether or not that makes you a Happy Drunk or a Sad Drunk depends on you. People who smoke weed get dry mouth and feel some combination of head and body high.

I'm hardly a connoisseur, but I thought the LSD scenes in this episode were mostly great. Everything in the friend's apartment was spot-on, especially the cigarette. The transition from "Hmmm this isn't doing anything" to "Hey, my perception of time is is skewed" to "Hey, is that bottle singing?" were well done.

The bathtub scene later was a bit ham-fisted, though. Hallucinating an entire stadium in your bathroom is FAR outside my experience. At the same time, I think the important aspect is that he didn't care it was a hallucination. His wife mentioned that she didn't see the happiness he saw, but he was still laughing. Roger is fine with fiction, as long as it's easy enough to accept.

An interesting character moment, when you think about it.
    Formerly an enigmatic Irish woman. Don't ask.

Quote Originally Posted by Kon Darp View Post
    I think the important aspect is that he didn't care it was a hallucination. His wife mentioned that she didn't see the happiness he saw, but he was still laughing. Roger is fine with fiction, as long as it's easy enough to accept.
    Nice

I can't speak to pharmaceutical grade pure LSD that they would have had, but no that was nothing like an acid trip. An acid trip is much closer to Drugsachusetts or something. But as original way to portray the odd passages of time and the feeling of beauty in thoughts and reflection, it got a good tone. Much closer in tone to a lot of other portrayals and it didn't betray the feeling on the show, so kudos.

“We’ve built a bridge of friendship and carried our goats across. Lay them in the grass with me, Jeff! One’s named Petey and one’s named Sweetie!”—Pete Holmes to Jeff Garlin, Doug Loves Movies

Meg's mom is, how you say... la whore? Though her dad is a real fucking bringdown. Go Pete.

And Sally's boots were killer.

Two Betty Free episodes in a row!!

I've done acid 3 times, and it was never 'Drugachusetts', thank god.
    Hey, check me out. I'm a ghost.

I can't believe it was Pete of all people who got Daddy Downer to finally crack a smile.

Also, post-trip Roger is the best. I know it's all set for him to finally get together with Joanie for realsies, but after last night's episode, does anyone else think he actually wants to get back with Mona?

I wonder if the show is leading up to Megan leaving the agency, with Don having to choose between Megan and work. One conflict we've seen over the season is Megan's innocence versus the atmosphere of SCDP. She can maybe live with Harry's gross comments in the kitchen, but if she finds out that her mother blew Roger I think that would be enough for her to leave. Then Don, who says he doesn't care about work but never stop working (as Megan remarks at HoJo's), would have to choose what's more important to him.

Or maybe Don, Roger and the two Calvet women all start a commune in upstate New York.
    “We’ve built a bridge of friendship and carried our goats across. Lay them in the grass with me, Jeff! One’s named Petey and one’s named Sweetie!”—Pete Holmes to Jeff Garlin, Doug Loves Movies