Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Job search advice, unemployment, etc.

Re: Job search advice, unemployment, etc.

I have a job interview for a Help Desk position. I haven't done Help Desk in 4 years, I hope the company is using Windows 98 second edition otherwise I need to brush up on some sh**!

Interview Friday went well. Followed up with a phone interview today. Was asked questions about whether I know Citrix, Active Directory, RDP, etc, stuff that I haven't touched in 4-5 years. After I got off the phone I was sure I wasn't getting any further. Then they emailed me back asking me for a interview tomorrow in person. Awesome.
    Now I have to go to Microsoft site and practice with the virtual labs and learn as much as I can before tomorrow.

This was a job I found on Craigslist btw.

2 members found this post helpful.

aight we cool. They want to hire me. Now if I pass my background check and drug test my black ass is employed and I can go back to eating pork because I can afford it and don't have to fake it as a black muslim

7 members found this post helpful.

aye I gots me a job yaw!! Now my Amazon wish list can be more than a fantasy! Passed my background and drug test (guess that was baking soda after all - damn you Columbia)

Congrats!

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by SeanX3 View Post
    Congrats!
    thanks it's been awhile...but in that time I discovered my need to do stand up. Now once I start working I'll have to figure out how to balance work and open mics and then get home early enough for sleep so no more after midnight talks with comedians.

It's a struggle. Let me know if you figure it out.

‎"Because this is a para-professional position which does not require MLS degree, we decided not to consider applicants with MLS degree."

Just got this as a response from an institution where I volunteered for months. Feels pretty shitty.
    Last edited by J.B.; July 13, 2012 at 9:03 AM.

Urrrrgggggghhhhhhhh. Dummies.

I have a job that gives me 32 hours of week. It works around my job as a writer well. I don't want to give it up but it would help (to put it lightly), at least until money from some work for hire comics gigs comes in, if I could supplement the income with something on the weeknights and weekends. Any advice on good jobs for the PM (I'm in L.A.)? I have skills in writing, editing, proofreading, organization, workflow management, and some design. I can use MS Word, Excel, Power Point, Photoshop, and a bit of InDesign.

May I ask, is bar tending school worth it? It's a job I've always been curious about.
    “We’ve built a bridge of friendship and carried our goats across. Lay them in the grass with me, Jeff! One’s named Petey and one’s named Sweetie!”—Pete Holmes to Jeff Garlin, Doug Loves Movies

After working at a hotel I would highly recommend those. Very flexable from my experience there and also a great way to make new connections.

Thank you!
    “We’ve built a bridge of friendship and carried our goats across. Lay them in the grass with me, Jeff! One’s named Petey and one’s named Sweetie!”—Pete Holmes to Jeff Garlin, Doug Loves Movies

I'm looking for work! I've been applying to associate editor type positions, but also looking into office/administrative assistant positions. I check Craigslist, MediaBistro, and Ed2010. I looked on Monster too. Any suggestions for where else to check? Here's my LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/benkharakh

I got a free upgrade to premium for a month, which didn't include jobseeker status. It still won't tell me specifically who'd viewing my profile!
    Last edited by Keith Whitener; December 13, 2012 at 10:35 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Whitener View Post
    I'm looking for work! I've been applying to associate editor type positions, but also looking into office/administrative assistant positions. I check Craigslist, MediaBistro, and Ed2010. I looked on Monster too. Any suggestions for where else to check? Here's my LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/benkharakh

I got a free upgrade to premium for a month, which didn't include jobseeker status. It still won't tell me specifically who'd viewing my profile!
    Glassdoor is alright. But honestly, I think most job sites are effectively useless. Too much noise to signal. I've had better luck in the past by just Googling local companies and checking their website for a Career Opportunities or Jobs section.
    I'm in.

Most job sites these days are awful; a lot of them, like monster.com, are full of spam job offers like pyramid schemes. I feel lucky to live in a city where craigslist is such a major force, because it's been good to me job hunting wise.

Also, after 3 years of underemployment and 7 months of unemployment, I found a full time job. Adapting to a 7-5 job is the fucking wooooooooooorst, but having no money and having to choose between food and rent is worse. As soon as I pay off my debt I'm gonna go live in the woods.

http://jobs.calstate.edu

You can search all 23 campuses + Chancellor's Office for jobs.

Quote Originally Posted by pissedpissedofferson View Post
    But honestly, I think most job sites are effectively useless. Too much noise to signal. I've had better luck in the past by just Googling local companies and checking their website for a Career Opportunities or Jobs section.
    This is the best advice

Hey...anyone know how a nice, organized, hard-working fellow can make some extra cash in the time in the space of a few weeks. I'm talking about pick-up jobs, preferably after-hours, that I can work while I have a dayjob (that recently gave me a raise but still doesn't cover my nuts, at least not this month). I'm going to contact to temp agencies but talking to a friend who get work from both, it doesn't seem like after after hours is their thing. I'm talking woring starting after 4:00 or 5:00 pm. Let me know, thanks!

He doesn't mean it. That was his 666th post. THE DEVIL'S EMPLOYMENT NUMBER!

Indeed is an excellent job search site. It lists everything it can find seemingly indiscriminately, so you have to create some pretty narrow searches. But once you figure out how to use it right, it's fantastic.

Also... since I posted so many bummer things in here in the past - I guess I should be updating with the good news, too. Shortly after my last post, I got a crappy grocery store job. Then shortly after that I got a temporary but real, grown-up professional library job. It's likely to turn into something more permanent. But even if it doesn't, I've had some really great interviews recently, and I feel like I'm on the cusp on getting a permanent gig I'll stay with for years. I don't want to jinx it, but I've got an on-campus day-long academic interview in two weeks that I've got high hopes for.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast