Page 1 of 17 12345611 ... LastLast

Thread: Game of Thrones (illiterate edition)

Game of Thrones (illiterate edition)

Instead of complaining to my wife that I can't read the Game of Thrones thread because every third post brings up "the books," and instead of trying in vain to direct people to the thread about the books for show-to-books comparison talk, I'm just going to do this.

Have at it, fellow illiterates! This show is awesome and I love to watch it, discuss it, and read other people's thoughts on it... as long as those people haven't read the source material. If you've read the books and want to talk about the show fuck off to that other thread! Will this thread be way more awesome than that thread? Yes. Too bad for you.

So... Dragons: fuck! Am I right?

4 members found this post helpful.

Re: Game of Thrones (illiterate edition)

I'm with you Sass, My girlfriend (against my pleas not too) has read the books up to book 4 and now my viewing experience has drastically changed from last season. Every Sunday of last season could be counted upon to elicit dual syncronized gasps, now it's her quipping at every other scene how "that's not how it happens in the book but I know where they're going with it." and me with mouth agape.

Have you seen Megan Amram's GoT thing?

DRAGONS!

1 members found this post helpful.

Megan's awesome.

Fucking dragonssssss!

As a person who referenced the books in the other thread (without spoilers, of course) I apologize.

And you guys should check out the AV Club's Newbie reviews of GOT. They review and discuss each episode from the perspective of someone who hasn't read the books and all the commenters are fellow non-book-readers. And the moderators of the site are great about deleting anything remotely spoilery.
    Last edited by ImAScooby; May 28, 2012 at 4:04 PM.

6. The post by ArchStanton is hidden due to low votes. Click expand to view it.

Thank you for this thread! I too was at my wit's end with the "what's a spoiler? DERRR" in the other thread. Well, in all threads on all message boards, but I digress.

Killing off 90% of Dany's followers seemed like a real kick in the momentum of her story. Unless she's gonna get her hands dirty like she did when she went after her brother, I don't see how it was worth it. She has had her rage turned to 11 all season and there's been no payoff. Qarth seemed so cool at first, but really it's functioned like a very literal purgatory. It's like they're just trying to age the dragons at this point.

Yeah, she's coming off bratty with all the big talk and no ability to back it up. I liked the character better when she was turning the tables on the men who were trying to control her and sticking up for her man, not whining about her claim to the iron throne and her dragon babies.

I'd like that big Nubian king dude to mention how he came from nothing a few more times though.

Quote Originally Posted by Berliner View Post
    Spoiler alertssssssssss: Bran is totally gay.
    You're lucky I still don't know anyone's name motherfucker!

1 members found this post helpful.

10. The post by ArchStanton is hidden due to low votes. Click expand to view it.

The dragons will turn out like Walt, and after Dany is awkwardly written off the show for a few seasons we see older, adolescent dragons walking around the wilderness that only Arya can see for some reason.

Damnit, I still want to click that other thread!

Hey, what happened to the Stark girl's awesome sword? I will be bummed if it's lost forever.

Arya's? I think the last time they showed the sword she was still in the Harrenhal mud pen, staring at it angrily.

One of the baddies took it from her either in Harrenhaal or when she was captured.

A lot of the reason it got spoilery in the other thread is because this season is taking a lot more liberties with the books than Season One did, and book readers were wanting to talk about these changes and how we think they might connect some dots. And some people are idiots about how to do this without upsetting non-readers, myself included.

But anyways, read the books when you can and when you get to A Clash of Kings you'll get a similar story to the one you've watched in Season 2 told a completely different way! As opposed to reading the first book, which is pretty much the exact same as Season 1 except with a few very minor changes and additional details that were left out.

A_S

That other thread is dark and full of terrors.

Oh, and is it fucking winter yet? I felt like that phrase was a part of some greater hint that White Walkers were going to dominate the end of the first series/book. The series started with them, started to hint at them again near the end, and we had one nanosecond this season. But they seem like pretty much an afterthought at this point.

[redacted]

i'll stay out of this thread, wasn't aware it was for over-sensitive weenies.
    Last edited by Umlaut; May 16, 2012 at 12:56 PM.

I think I need to be done with this thread also so I don't have the books spoiled for me. I thought the title of this thread kinda was meant to ward those posters away, but apparently spoilers are like heroin.

I'm a little confused about Lanister and Arya in the last episode. Does he know who she is or does he just think there is more to her than meets the eye? He seems to be digging deeper and the line "If you want to pretend to be a commoner..." (paraphrasing) suggests he thinks she is noble born.

Dany has had the biggest drop off from season one. She had a such a great foil in her brother. She came to power and grew up through out the season.

Now she seems to have stalled. I think it has to do with the pace of the show. It's taken this long to giver her a direct conflict, The King of the City and Grandpa Marilyn Manson, that she can overcome. Hopefully over the next two episodes just becomes a baller again.
    "Not the victory but the action. Not the goal but the game. In the deed the glory."

Quote Originally Posted by dan telfer View Post
    I think I need to be done with this thread also so I don't have the books spoiled for me. I thought the title of this thread kinda was meant to ward those posters away, but apparently spoilers are like heroin.
    There was not a single spoiler in what I had posted, and I covered what may have been (very mildly) spoiler-y, but, again, staying away. Perhaps consider that people like to discuss things -- including answering the question you had just asked as it was explained in the show! -- and maybe you are over-sensitive to what constitutes "spoiling" even when it's stuff that doesn't really matter, or isn't given ample time in the show due to time constraints. Even reading the books invites going online to various wikis or what have you for further contextualization. It's part of what's exciting about this series - there is so much to it that simply watching the show or reading the book or even both you won't get everything. It's exciting to discuss with other people to pick up on stuff you may have missed.

Good day, I'm gone, I promise.

2 members found this post helpful.

Page 1 of 17 12345611 ... LastLast