Page 1 of 28 12345611 ... LastLast

Thread: Game of Thrones (book talk edition)

Game of Thrones (book talk edition)

Editor's note: this is the original "Game of Thrones" discussion thread. Some commenters have read some or all of the books upon which this show is based, and some haven't. Since many of those who have can't help but discuss the show in the context of what happens in the books, there was born a separate thread for people who haven't read the books and would like to discuss the show without the potentially spoiler-ish context of book-reader comments. - isoS

HBO's new show "Game of Thrones" starts in a few weeks. It looks amazing. I usually hate fantasy, but this series was good. I'm on book 3, and can't stop.

_________

Bees booze and bikes

Re: Game of Thrones

I watched all the promos on HBO On Demand and now I'm pretty pumped about it.
    TV innit

Yeah, I'm pretty ready to get sucked into some episodic television with this. I only wish I could see it on Netflix and not have to REDACTED REDACTED REDACTED REDACTED torrent.

I'm trying to reread the first book before the series begins, but I don't think I'm going to make it. I might just try to stay ahead of each episode, but that would involve a lot of guessing.

Banned

I love those books. I would say they are fantasy books for non fantasy nerds.

This is about the two men behind the series adaptation.

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment...,5628608.story
    DaggerofChrist unmasked

I don't know about it. The art direction seems a bit Zach Snydery to me. But then, I've been down on the books since the godawful 4th novel.
    I'm in.

Is it "fantasy" like magic and shit or what?

Quote Originally Posted by aenemaTron View Post
    Is it "fantasy" like magic and shit or what?
    Sort of? It's set in a medieval world, but magic is very much on the fringes of society. There are no Gandalfs or witches, but as the story progresses magical stuff starts to happen to certain characters. It's basically the War of the Roses set in an alternate reality.
    I'm in.

First 15 minutes. Fucking brilliant!

Game of Thrones Exclusive Preview
    _________

Bees booze and bikes

What did y'all think? I'm on board, for sure! Both smarter and much more fun genre stuff than The Walking Dead, which is the last thing I was anticipating this much, and which didn't deliver by a long shot. The cinematography alone, I mean, Jesus, this might be the best looking TV show ever. I'm way into it after episode 1 and the Season Pass is set on "Save until I delete"

I reeeeaaallly enjoyed the premier. Haven't read the books and don't really plan on it. I haven't picked up any fantasy lit since I was like 15....

But I'm on board for at least the season based on the first episode. I mean... the show is beautiful and each of the kingdoms has a SUPER distinct look. Love that. And every actor down to the kids is doing an awesome job so far. And look how much character development was in just the first hour!

Should be great.

I liked it a lot! But did anyone else notice how tight and small everything was? It was weird seeing a fantasy without big, sweeping crane shots of the landscape.

The guy who plays Viserys is great. The character in the book is a raving, bipolar loon, but I'm really digging the way the actor has turned him into an oily sociopath.

Finally, what's up with the opening sequence? It looks pretty cool, but I don't get how it relates to the show at all, or even makes sense as a standalone thing.
    I'm in.

The opening sequence was a map, showing all the areas where the action in this particular episode took place. My understanding is that the credits will be altered as the characters, and the show, move into different kingdoms, and thus will change several times a season. I think it's a pretty cool idea.

I liked this first episode. Coming into it as a fan of the books and a former fantasy junkie, I was really pleased with almost everything about it.

1 members found this post helpful.

I thought it was great. There were a lot of characters to establish, but they got through all that and made the important spots fairly meaningful.

(and I promise to only mention this once: I'm recapping this show for Television Without Pity)

I enjoyed it as I love high melodrama and costumes.

I did have one knee-jerk liberal reaction though. Why, oh why do all the colored people have to be highly sexualized and barbaric? White titties = virginal vulnerability. Black titties = gyrating she-sluts. I have not (nor do I plan to ) read the books. Is this consistent with the source material?
    S.W.A.S.S. points, no deductions!

What about the whores? They were white, weren't they?

Don't forget the white titties attached to the imp-loving whores. I'm not sure how that impacts the racial dynamics of the show, though. Or the queen on her hands and knees fucking her (twin?) brother for that matter.

I am halfway through the first book, and when I imagined the horse people (I can't remember most of the names in this book, as there are a lot), I though of them as more old-timey-movie Arabian than anything else -- minus the clothes. And when they are first described as dark, it's in contrast to the very white skin and hair of the incestuous dragon family. The book's presentation of the marriage is more detailed and complicated and fraught with schemes.

I, for one, am glad that we didn't get shots of the brother pinching and twisting his sister's breasts, however.
    DaggerofChrist unmasked

I was only speaking of the one occasion (in the horse person world) where a direct comparison could be made. This is the only instance where this bugged me. I got so excited that there were dark skinned people (we never get to be in fantasy movies!) and was disappointed that the ladies were perpetuating an image of black women (carnality, promiscuity) that has so long plagued popular culture. That said, I saw that not all those women in that scene were black (or brown or olive), but that the ONLY people of color we get to see were sluts and brutes. I was born and raised in Berkeley, I can't help but notice this stuff. It's a curse, really.

P.S.

Quote Originally Posted by TomHicks View Post
    I, for one, am glad that we didn't get shots of the brother pinching and twisting his sister's breasts, however.
    White folks is nasty.

S.W.A.S.S. points, no deductions!

They've done a great job of adapting the book for TV. And, they've established all the characters really well considering there are so many.

I cant wait to see how they handle all the future twist and turns.
    _________

Bees booze and bikes

Page 1 of 28 12345611 ... LastLast