Will I like it
    EXCLUSIVE PICS OF MY teenage neighbor IN ACTION CLICK HERE

Re: The Dark Knight

nah

thanks dude
    EXCLUSIVE PICS OF MY teenage neighbor IN ACTION CLICK HERE

slapstickeulogist: Catwoman is awesome. GOOD DAY TO YOU SIR.

punkdc: Yeah, however could they make the Riddler darker than Jim Carrey in a children's film?

Done making fun of people. Here's what I thinked:

Spoiler:  

I was surprised at the Frank Miller comparison above; the story obviously doesn't follow that old Batman in the future storyline, but I think this movie topped The Dark Knight Returns in, um, darkness. DKR ended looking to the future in a hopeful way, but I don't know if you can say the same about the film. Gotham's martyr and Rachels' love for Bruce Wayne are both lies, and it implies that the people of Gotham and BW are better off believing a lie.

I don't know if that's too nihilistic a reading, but I thought the movie wrapped up in a way that only the audience knows what really happened (because of Alfred burning the note). Actually, I guess the audience and Alfred know the truth.
    DaggerofChrist unmasked

Quote Originally Posted by P. J. Head View Post
    Spoiler:  
    Spoiler:  

There's spoiler stuff in here so read if you've seen it.

This film was fantastic. The scenes were riveting from the start and the different plots were woven together so seamlessly there was never a dull moment.

My favorite parts most often came from the Joker and his plans. From the first bank heist, where the thieves kill one another, to the detonators on the ferries, I was elated by the cleverness but disturbed by the situations. Making "the pencil disappear" was one of the best film murders I've ever seen. It was perfect for the Joker, simple, well executed, completely psychotic and pretty funny.

The back and forth between the 3 heroes Dent, Gordon and Batman vs. the criminals of Gotham were intense and extremely fun to watch. So many scenes started one way and then made a complete reversal putting the other side in control. I liked the multiple climaxes. Each revealed something intriguing that's important to the story and wrapped up different loose ends. I also liked Maggie in place of Katie because the Rachel role is a very strong character which Katie played pretty frail. The death was shocking but such an amazing twist I can't be disappointed in it.

There were some problems I had with it, but they were all outweighed by the good. I am not a fan of CGI when unnecessary and Harvey's face was definitely that. It would have been so much better to see a tangible make up job as opposed to the computer tendons. In a film so realistic the logistics of his wound was confounding. How is his left eye still functional? And how can his speech not be altered when missing half his lips?

Not to pile on but I also found the Batman voice too raspy and distracting. But with all the great dialog and the focus I was giving it, I didn't want to miss a thing and it was honestly hard to hear at points.

I'm half joking while I bring this up but they killed a lot of black characters. Gambol's thug with a pencil, Gambol with a knife, 2 of Gambol's men in a death struggle, the Judge is blown up, Comissioner Loeb is poisoned, Joker shotguns a street cop from the truck, and shoots another in the hospital. Once Gordon died I thought "finally, a big white death to even this all out", and then they brought him back! At least Deebo did the right thing and threw the detonator off the boat.

Overall a really fantastic film. The last time I was so transfixed on a screen was when I watched No Country for Old Men. These are two completely different films but the tension I felt in each is comparable. I hope to see it again soon.

Oh, that reminds me of a question I had: How did they explain Dent's death? I thought Batman was going to take the blame for the people Dent killed; but was he supposed to have killed Dent, too?* I mean, the cops were right there and actually chased B out of the warehouse.

*And Dent was still a good guy.
    DaggerofChrist unmasked

are we still bitching about batman's voice? everyone is aware that it's the same as in "batman begins," right? you've had a few years to to get used to it, it shouldn't be an issue at this point. it's not going to change. just let it be. i don't really know what the alternatives would be, he has to use a different voice to protect his identity. what would be less distracting? a funny accent? a high-pitched squeal? stephen hawking voice? at least the raspy voice is somewhat intimidating. i think it works.

anyway, i thought the movie was great and the only problem i had was harvey's crazy terminator face at the end. everything else worked for me. awesome movie, great job!

In regards to the Batman voice, I think he sounded significantly raspier and more strained in TDK. However, I think it worked; with the way shit piles on in this movie, Batman's bound to get tired.

I liked this movie because going into it one must immediately believe that guy dressed as a bat furry is going to beat up and murderers, terrorists and corrupt landlords*.
    A complete suspension of disbelief happens.

*and dogs.

Banned

I'd just watched batman begins, and not only does it sound worse, he speaks a lot more in Dark Knight, making it a lot more noticeable.

I thought that the Joker was so iconic he swallowed up the whole movie. I found myself waiting for scenes without him to be over so he'd be back on the screen.

Also, why didn't they cut some nose holes in the bat suit so batman could breath when he talks?
    Blog Flickr Youtube Facebook
    I like things that are great.

jon

I liked this movie a lot. I thought it was pretty good when I saw it, and in thinking about it it's gotten better in my mind, which is the opposite of what usually happens. The biggest thing I still had a problem with was the cell phone/sonar thing. It may have been the way it was executed visually, but it seemed too much like Professor X's Cerebro. I don't really read comics, so someone more knowledgeable could correct me on this, but having that ability/power to know where everyone is in that situation seems to border on having a real superpower, which kind of goes against the purpose of Batman. That's me, though.

As for his voice, yeah it's annoying. It wasn't just him, though. 30 Rock watchers will know what I mean when I say that the end, with Batman, Two-Face and Gordon turned into a "talking like this" contest.

Great movie.

Great, great movie!

The cell phone thing, for me, goes in the bin with the "ferry full of convicts" next to things that didn't really make that much sense but implied interesting moral and ethical questions which are worthwhile regardless.

But the big display looked too cool.

A big part of Batman that was never explored in the earlier films was his reliance on technology. He is resourceful enough to beat up Superman, given enough preparation. Burton's Batman had bat-shaped jats and boats and crap but ultimately they were just vehicles. The Schumacher Batman threw all kinds of gadgets around but nothing was interesting or creative like the cell sonar. So I'll allow it.

As far as the fate of Dent- remember 9/11, when they were digging bone dust out and DNA testing it? So they didn't ID his body until the next day, so what. I don't think they'll imply Batman killed him, but people might blame him given the Joker was responsible for blowing up the hospital in response to the guy on TV threatening Batman's secret identity... convoluted, but within the realm of human behavior.

Still, Batman is on the run, and he's a suspect in five murders, two of whom were cops. The next movie is gonna suck for him!!

Also: that screechy noise they played during tense scenes was so perfect and DID ITS JOB. I almost peed myself when it got tense.

So, do you think they'll re-cast the Joker or leave him out of the next movie? I think that Ledger's stamp on it was so strong, it's going to be really hard to even come close to it.

Also, I don't think Two-Face is dead.
    Blog Flickr Youtube Facebook
    I like things that are great.

I was wondering if they'd show Dent steamin' and schemin' in Arkham as a little stinger on the end. If he died it was a very "indie drama" death, falling fifteen feet and all. In the comics you can survive anything.

As far as recasting the Joker, well, it may never come up. If they want people to pay attention to anything in the next movie, they won't do it.

Quote Originally Posted by TimBuktu View Post
    So, do you think they'll re-cast the Joker or leave him out of the next movie? I think that Ledger's stamp on it was so strong, it's going to be really hard to even come close to it.

Also, I don't think Two-Face is dead.
    Originally, I would have said that Two-Face is definitely dead, but after thinking about it, now, for a few days They may want to leave him alive. My thought has always been for the Riddler to be the villain in the third film. Before accounting for Ledger's death, it would make sense for the Joker (From within Arkham) to act as a mentor and influence on the Riddler (All my own crappy theory...feel free to disagree). Now, though, I think that Chris Nolan will see that people will view Ledger's Joker as untouchable and won't want to risk offending fans by replacing him. However, since the Joker's seeming protege, Two-Face could still be alive, it leaves a way to tie this movie to the next.

Assuming all of that to be true (Which it isn't), the only question left is: Would Nolan ever consider having Two-Face and Riddler in a movie and risk comparisons to Batman Forever?

All of that aside, I dug this movie from beginning to end. Too many sequels make the mistake of making you wait for action, this was not one of those films. From there, the relentless pace just didn't let up, and I hoped it never would. The characters were [mostly] extremely deep and well-defined, with many levels to them. The Joker was probably the best example of this, acting as a funny character to the casual viewer, but becoming something entirely different, something dark to anyone who was fully engrossed in the movie.

Is it the best movie in the world? No. But was it a really good film? Damn skippy, and I can't wait to see what Nolan and Co. do in the third film.

-Nick
    PHILADELPHIASAURUS SOLD SEPARATELY

I have a job now or something.

Page 4 of 18 FirstFirst 12345678914 ... LastLast