Page 15 of 24 FirstFirst ... 51011121314151617181920 ... LastLast

Thread: Comic Books!

Re: Comic Books!

Supposedly Deadpool Max is good but I'm fairly certain that anything Daniel Way writes, which includes the regular Deadpool series, is mediocre.
    Last edited by AstroChicken; April 8, 2012 at 8:37 PM.

I just don't think I like the character, I don't see any potential for drama and the dialogue reminds me of the worst qualities of Buffy the Vampire Slayer.

I'm going to catch up on the second half of the Walking Dead run and see where they can go from the insane clusterfluff it had become up to that point.

I'm enjoying the regular Deadpool series, although it's pretty light-hearted and not exactly a great book artistically. I've just liked the Deadpool character for a while and he's really well-written in the Uncanny X-Force (a much better book). However, the Deadpool Max comic I couldn't stand at all. Apparently I'm not the only one, because I think at first it was supposed to be an ongoing series, then they said it would be 12 issues, then it got cancelled after six.

If any of you comic fans have a moment, please help a fellow ASTer out and vote for my comic "A Life of Death" to win a 2012 Eagle Award here: http://www.eagleawards.co.uk/survey/index.php?sid=56484

If the Eisners are like the Oscars of comics then I guess that makes the Eagle Awards like the BAFTAs. Except Ricky Gervais doesn't win them all. Yet.

Is anyone reading Whispers? There have only been two issues so far, but it's been strong right off the bat. The only bad news is I found out it's only going to run bimonthly for six issues.

I got Reset from Dark Horse and its pretty great. Next is Secret and America's Got Powers.

If anyone is in LA:

http://nerdmeltla.com/tickets2/index.php?event_id=55

Nerdist Writers Panel- Comics and TV Edition 4/29/2012
    Date: Sunday - April 29, 2012 - 04:30 PM
    Location: Nerdist Education Theater - Los Angeles - General Admin
    Doors Open 04:00 PM

Spend your Sunday afternoons learning from the best at the Nerdist Writers Panel! Join moderator Ben Blacker as he hosts esteemed panelists discussing topics like different types of writing, how they got started, what inspires them, the business side of writing, and more. This series is a must for any hopeful writer in LA, with a portion of the proceeds going to benefit 826LA.
    *PLEASE NOTE THE SPECIAL START TIME OF 4:30*
    Scheduled to appear:
    Ed Brubaker (Captain America; Criminal)
    Len Wein (co-created Wolverine, Swamp Thing, Human Target, MANY more)
    Jackson Publick (co-creator, the Venture Bros)
    "Not the victory but the action. Not the goal but the game. In the deed the glory."

Quote Originally Posted by punkdc View Post
    I got Reset from Dark Horse and its pretty great. Next is Secret and America's Got Powers.
    America's Got Powers is alright. A bunch of kids in San Francisco get super powers, and instead of becoming heroes or conquerors they're enslaved by the US government and made to do a yearly battle royale reality show.
    I'm in.

Image has been launching an impressive amount of quality ongoing series lately, but my favorite has been Danger Club. Everyone needs to check it out. It's like Watchmen with kids. Okay, maybe not as dense and revolutionary. But please give it a chance, it's so good.

Saga has been the finest of the new Image books. I don't want to oversell it but two issues in (the first was double-sized) it feels like Brian K. Vaughan and Fiona Staples are creating a new Star Wars. But one with sex and relatable dialogue.
    “We’ve built a bridge of friendship and carried our goats across. Lay them in the grass with me, Jeff! One’s named Petey and one’s named Sweetie!”—Pete Holmes to Jeff Garlin, Doug Loves Movies

I started Invincible recently and I was all "come on, impress me" and the first couple books were like "eh, this is like Ultimate Invincible if Invincible was already a thing" but now I'm like 40 something issues deep and completely hooked.

Quote Originally Posted by aenemaTron View Post
    I started Invincible recently and I was all "come on, impress me" and the first couple books were like "eh, this is like Ultimate Invincible if Invincible was already a thing" but now I'm like 40 something issues deep and completely hooked.
    It's impossible to overstate how great Invincible is. Kirkman distilled everything good about Spider-Man and Superman into one character, and in the process I think he created a character who connects with kids the same way Spiderman did in the 60s and 70s.

Just caught up with Invincible Iron Man. I really hope Marvel Studios uses one of Matt Fraction's story-arcs for Iron Man 3. The Five Fears of Tony Stark would be an amazing movie, especially since Robert Downey Jr. has hit an age where he's implausible as the young hotshot futurist.
    I'm in.

Last edited by slothborn; October 7, 2012 at 9:28 AM.

Gangsta Rap Posse is my new favorite comic

1 members found this post helpful.

Speaking of Fraction, I just read (and re-read, to get a handle on what the fuck was happening) the first couple issues of Casanova and I am pretty blown away. Never had such a confusing but ultimately satisfying experience. Any recommendations of non-super books similar in complexity?

Also, been reading Spawn and WildC.A.T.S in an attempt to rediscover the comics that were popular right when I was losing interest in the medium, and pretty disappointed in both. Spawn tries to make a lot out of very little and WCs tries to make even more out of too much. I loved Jim Lee so much back when I didn't care that every single female in his books appeared to be seven feet tall and 70% legs.

Didn't people care that those Image titles just shamelessly ripped off Marvel characters all over the place? Spawn is so blatantly Ghost Rider without a bike, it's extremely bizarre that it was so successful especially since GR was actually making a comeback before Image even started.

And finally, Suicide Squad. Patton said it should be a movie on a recent CBB podcast, so I checked it out. I do think it's much better written than I expected, but it's also pretty shallow and not that engaging.

did you start at the beginning with Suicide Squad? I thought it was good for a the first few months, then not so much.

The most enjoyable read for me when it comes to the new 52 is Swamp Thing & Animal Man. I can't wait for those titles to finally crossover.

and speaking of DC, when is the Joker going to return and reclaim his face? Did I miss that or something?

Speaking of Fraction, I just read (and re-read, to get a handle on what the fuck was happening) the first couple issues of Casanova and I am pretty blown away. Never had such a confusing but ultimately satisfying experience. Any recommendations of non-super books similar in complexity?
    I love Casanova. It's a series that is a major inspiration in my own comics writing. As for books that could scratch the same itch, Bryan Talbot's The Adventures of Luther Arkwright is big influence on Cas, certainly in terms of execution, and I feel a very overlooked book. Howard Chaykin's American Flagg!! has that same huge rush and hedonistic fun. Grant Morrison and Richard Case's Doom Patrol as a similar "anything can happen" feel. also, Michael Moorcock's Jerry Cornelius novels are ground zero for the spy-fi genre Cas is a part of.
    “We’ve built a bridge of friendship and carried our goats across. Lay them in the grass with me, Jeff! One’s named Petey and one’s named Sweetie!”—Pete Holmes to Jeff Garlin, Doug Loves Movies

Thanks, Ian. The interviews in the back of the Cass books mention most of those. Those interviews are great.

Quote Originally Posted by cokefantastic View Post
    did you start at the beginning with Suicide Squad? I thought it was good for a the first few months, then not so much.
    Am I wrong to be reading the mid-80s version? I assumed that was what he had been talking about. But I guess stories where Gorbachev is one of the scheming villains might not be what Patton Oswalt thinks would work on screen.

Am I wrong to be reading the mid-80s version? I assumed that was what he had been talking about. But I guess stories where Gorbachev is one of the scheming villains might not be what Patton Oswalt thinks would work on screen.
    I'm pretty sure that's the version Patton was talking about. That's the good one. Granted I haven't tried the new 52 version, but the 80s book was amazing and I highly doubt the new version holds a candle to it

Quote Originally Posted by stevenac View Post
    I'm pretty sure that's the version Patton was talking about. That's the good one. Granted I haven't tried the new 52 version, but the 80s book was amazing and I highly doubt the new version holds a candle to it
    You are correct. Look what they did to Amanda "The Wall" Waller -