Page 56 of 87 FirstFirst ... 46515253545556575859606166 ... LastLast
Results 1,101 to 1,120 of 1733

Thread: AST Loves Movies

Re: AST Loves Movies

Quote Originally Posted by scamboogah View Post
    Me too.

Oh, and Brasky's original post came across like weirdly racist garbage.
    Huh? I'm really not doing a good job of expressing myself lately I guess.
    Calling it a "French movie" was in no way supposed to be a swipe against France or French people (who are not a "race" anyway).
    I was just saying that including "The Artist" in a list of good 2011 movies is kind of disingenuous, because it's not really indicative of what's going on in American cinema right now. It's really the product of another culture and a director from another country. I was just saying that the American directors who I like (Scorsese, Alexander Payne, etc.) made movies this year that aren't as interesting as some of their past work, IMO anyway.

And I tried to tell you guys that Bucky Larson had some funny parts when it came out; unfortunately, the ad campaign seemed to drive everybody away from seeing it in the theater.

3 members found this post helpful.

ASR

The Artist is most definitely a product of American culture, in many many many ways.

Exactly. I don't know how you could look at that movie and go, "Oh, what a French movie!"

FFS, it's the most Hollywood movie ever!

It's a love letter TO American movies.....

You know what? Forget it. It was a good movie, and I liked it. I don't care what its background is, I'm just happy there's a movie nominated that I liked.

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by BillBrasky View Post
    It's a love letter TO American movies.....

You know what? Forget it. It was a good movie, and I liked it. I don't care what its background is, I'm just happy there's a movie nominated that I liked.
    I agree, Hugo was great.

4 members found this post helpful.

I'm going see The Artist today and I'll see if I think it's French, American, or French-American. Whoever's wrong owes me a Coke!

Quote Originally Posted by slothborn View Post
    I'm going see The Artist today and I'll see if I think it's French, American, or French-American. Whoever's wrong owes me a Coke!
    How bout a Cuke

After reading everyone's rave reviews yesterday I saw The Artist last night. And... it was great! So darn good.

I'm having a tough time deciding between The Artist and The Descendants for what I want to win best picture.

I was waiting for Malcolm McDowell to come back at some point, but it never happened. That was pretty humorous.

1 members found this post helpful.

My American instincts kicked in and I wandered into The Grey instead of The Artist. I'm going to make it a two movie day and wander back over (the theater is right down the block fortunately).

So... do you think those wolves were American or Canadian? I mean, they were in Alaska, but something about them struck me as border crossers.

PS - The Grey was way better than I expected. I didn't think I would get choked up during it from the way the commercials portrayed it.

One thing's for sure, this guy was born and raised in America:

#consideruggie (wait, this isn't Twitter)

3 members found this post helpful.

Did I miss the point where the parameters were established that a discussion of the best movies of 2011 only referred to American movies? (Actually asking.) Otherwise, why does it matter what The Artist's country of origin is? (I'd call it a French film.) Either you think it's one of the best movies of the year or you don't. Right? I just wanted to clarify because I feel like I've lost the thread on this thread for the past couple pages.
    Battleship Pretension - Movie talk from two guys who think they know more than you do. www.battleshippretension.com

Well, I don't know if it's an official rule, but it seems like it should be. I guess putting it in "Best Foreign Language Film" wouldn't make any sense, because it is in English. And there have been lots of UK-produced films that have won Best Picture. And now that I think about it, "Life is Beautiful" was nominated for Best Picture, and that was all in Italian. So you're right, this was all in my head, I guess Best Picture is a world-wide category.

Edit: I was just talking about Academy Award nominations, anybody is free to put whatever movie they like on their own personal Best of 2011 list. If there was an Icelandic movie you really liked, go ahead.
    Last edited by BillBrasky; February 2, 2012 at 10:23 AM.

Yeah, as far as I know basically every film is eligible for Best Picture. I believe the rule for foreign films is that they must have English subtitles. I don't know why more don't get nominated. Presumably because not enough people are watching them and those people that are assume they'll get credit through the Foreign Language category.

Besides, even if The Artist is foreign, it's English language. Plenty of British films get nominated.

Edit: But this discussion is going on too long! Has anyone been following Sundance? Was anyone at Sundance? What are you most looking forward to coming out of there?

To continue the discussion: Same thing for animated films and documentaries? I remember Michael Moore taking Fahrenheit 9/11 out of the running for Best Documentary because it was up for Best Picture. Pixar movies can be nominated for both Best Picture and Best Animated Film, right?

I'm not sure what my point is. Probably something about Jesus.

Animated movies are definitely eligible for both. I assume documentaries are as well (it would be weird if they were the only thing excluded) I just can't think of any examples of one being nominated. It may not have happened yet. It'll happen when God wants it to.

I just got back from The Artist and it was amazing. An old woman sitting behind me had a chronic cough and kept burping as she coughed... but other than that, it was such a great time.
    Spoiler:  

Saw The Innkeepers, liked it. Some parts gave be goosebumps. I love a slow burn, gives the scary moments much more impact.

Ti West has a really unique style. After seeing The House of the Devil and The Innkeepers, I bet I could recognize his next film without seeing his name attached to it. I of course mean that in a good way.

Also, am I the only one who noticed how in both HotD and TI,
    Spoiler:  
    I love that.
    Last edited by AstroChicken; January 29, 2012 at 3:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by AstroChicken View Post
    Saw The Innkeepers, liked it. Some parts gave be goosebumps. I love a slow burn, gives the scary moments much more impact.
    That's good to hear. I'm hoping it's good and/or does well. My parents literally live 5 miles from the Yankee Pedlar Inn (I checked Google Maps). So I want to get myself to watch it since I know the inn, but I don't usually like horror/spooky films. I was surprised to see they filmed something in Torrington. It's a pretty small town.

I'm pretty sure they said on Doug Loves Movies that is the same town they film House of the Devil in.

Quote Originally Posted by jkwall View Post
    I'm pretty sure they said on Doug Loves Movies that is the same town they film House of the Devil in.
    It looks like it was filmed in nearby Lime Rock and they stayed at the Yankee Pedlar while making it. I found this quote from Ti West: "We were making this Satanic horror movie in the middle of nowhere, but weirder stuff was going on back at the hotel. Everyone was convinced it was haunted, the whole town thinks it's haunted."

That's funny, though. Granted I don't live there and I'm sure people do think it's haunted, but I've never heard anybody mention it in Torrington. Maybe I'll stay a night when I visit next and test it out!

LinkBacks (?)

1. April 5, 2010, 1:32 AM