Page 56 of 145 FirstFirst ... 46515253545556575859606166 ... LastLast
Results 1,101 to 1,120 of 2900

Thread: WTF with Marc Maron (podcast)

Re: WTF with Marc Maron (podcast)

ugh I hate how he basks in the laughs

1 members found this post helpful.

I don't have sound at work, but several of the comments say something like "I'm Harold AND Kumar, hilarious!" Sounds fantastic.

Quote Originally Posted by charles star View Post
    I'm not sure why he has to be kept anonymous. I doubt he even wants the anonymity. I knew as soon as Marc started reading the email that Dan Nainan had written it.
    Yeah, I knew it was him, too. The brags are so repetitive that it couldn't have been anyone else. He sends out mass e-mails containing them. They get passed around because they are fucking hysterical and he's a living joke.

I agree on him not wanting anonymity either. I think you will, too, after reading the e-mails. He doesn't care if you think he's an asshole, as long as you think of him.

(EDIT: Again, these are MASS E-MAILS, to bookers, agents, managers and other comics. So I don't feel like I'm betraying any confidences by posting them. He wanted as many people as possible to read them. So, I'm kind of doing him a favor, really.)

Here's one from a few months ago.

Date: June 10, 2010 7:30:04 PM EDT
    To: calrocker@hotmail.com
    Subject: $8000 for a Show in Dubai! May I Gloat Just a Little Bit? Thank you.

Dear Friends,

I just received the initial deposit for a corporate show in Dubai that's coming up in a couple of weeks. The show pays $8000, yes, that's right, EIGHT THOUSAND US DOLLARS for less than one hour's work! And yes, I'll be flying in First Class as usual, in unbelievable luxury, with a flat bed! I'll be checking out the indoor ski range, surfing on the sand dunes, visiting the tallest building in the world and the world’s largest shopping mall, and luxuriating by the pool at my five star hotel. And yes, I will send pictures!

I know I shouldn't be gloating, and I know I should be spending my time working on my book in preparation for my upcoming meeting with my literary agent, and I know it really pisses off poor-ass alcoholic drug addicted comedians when you tell them how much money you make, but when something like this happens, such as the $15,000 corporate show I did earlier this year in San Francisco, or dealing with the deluge of royalty checks from my Apple commercial ($22,000 so far and SAG health insurance, thank you), I just can't help but think about all the people who told me (and still tell me) that I'm a hack, and that I shouldn't be doing ethnic material, I'm a sellout, and so forth.

And you know the best part? They found me on YouTube! Yes, on YouTube, where one of my videos is approaching 800,000 views! Funny, a lot of the comedians who were on Premium Blend or Live at Gotham post their clips, and guess what... they get fewer views in a year than I get in a day! Why is that, do you think? Maybe it's because the pablum that the industry forces down the throats of their viewers JUST. ISN'T. FUNNY! That's the beauty of the Internet -- disintermediation -- for you mental midgets that means that the middlemen such as managers and agents are becoming less and less important, because anybody can post anything on the Internet, and if it's funny or entertaining, then by golly people will send it to each other!

I can't help but think about all the club bookers in New York that turned me down and continue to turn me down, about all the comedians who brag about their "credits" on Premium Blend, Live at Gotham, Jimmy Kimmel and Comics Unleashed who still have day jobs and drive hundreds of miles to their crappy occasional gigs that pay three digits and that get drunk and smoke weed after the shows and stay up till the early morning.

I can't help but think about the witty, clever New York comics who are passed at all the clubs, whom you can't even recognize if you haven't seen them in a year or two because they have aged so much…oh, the joy and the schadenfreude.

I can't help but think about the comic who made fun of my physical appearance from the stage when I didn't even know him -- yes, making fun of another comic - I thought that was verboten, whom I saw working in a crappy restaurant the other day and exhibiting a serious case of avoirdupois.

I can't help but think about a highly embonpoint female comic A who went into an apoplectic hysterical conniption fit because I dared to admonish her for talking loudly with her female comic friend B while I was on stage, and then being cautioned the next day by another female comic C who said that I should be “very careful” because “word travels fast”, and female comic A “has a lot of credits” and is “very connected in the industry”.

Yes indeed, I'll be reminiscing about all of this on the long plane ride to the Emirates... with a shit-eating grin on my face.

Dan Nainan
    Comedian/Actor/Voiceover Artist/Computer Genius

New York/Beverly Hills
    212-414-2129
    Here's another...

----- Forwarded Message
    Date: Sun, 6 Jun 2010 03:55:50 -0400
    To:
    Subject: Who Needs a Fucking Manager?

$15000
    (yes that’s FIFTEEN THOUSAND DOLLARS) at a corporate function in SF.

$5000 at an upcoming high-level gala in Washington.

$8000 for an upcoming show in Abu Dhabi with a flat bed in first-class!

Performed for Donald Trump and his wife at his golf course in Palm Beach!

Just signed to a top-flight commercial agent in LA and jet-setting back and
    forth between LA and New York in first-class!

Millions of video views including one YouTube video approaching 800,000 hits!

Book deal with a major literary agent!

How on earth did I get all this without a manager or agent and with no TV
    “credits”?

Yes, a comedian who does clean material, has never drunk alcohol, who has never
    smoked, and who never has done any drugs of any kind gets shunned by the
    industry, whilst alcoholic drug addicts like Sean Rouse (who DOESN'T EVEN
    HAVE A WORKING WEBPAGE!!!) who do rape jokes and can't stay on
    the wagon get signed to major managers and agents, only to flame out and go
    nowhere! It truly boggles the mind!

Golly!

PS See John Tesh rave about my act!

http://www.vimeo.com/11349231

Note the $10,000 Rolex… a present to myself after my first $10,000 show!

Dan Nainan
    Comedian/Actor/Voiceover Artist/Computer Genius

New
    York/Beverly Hills
    212-414-2129

www.nainan.com

Watch
    me perform for 4000 people

, introduced by Tim Conway

Check
    out my Apple commercial
    with Justin Long and John Hodgman

Read my
    New York Times article

about being a clean, green comedian

------ End of Forwarded Message
    Last edited by MarkAgee; November 5, 2010 at 8:12 AM.
    I'm a comic. My website is mark-agee.com

Since he's made such a big deal about his video "approaching 900,000 views" on YouTube I think it's interesting to note how he's tagged his video.

"indian, comedian, russell, peters, ansari"

These are the only tags.

That flat-bed does sound sweet.
    Hot tub foot?

How do I sign up for those emails?

Quote Originally Posted by MarkAgee View Post
    Yeah, I knew it was him, too. The brags are so repetitive that it couldn't have been anyone else. He sends out mass e-mails containing them. They get passed around because they are fucking hysterical and he's a living joke.

I agree on him not wanting anonymity either. I think you will, too, after reading the e-mails. He doesn't care if you think he's an asshole, as long as you think of him.
    I knew from the pathetic email this guy must be one sad sack of sh*t but man, he far exceeded my douchebag expectations. I feel sorry for him. Not only is he miserable and likely has no friends, he's fugly (I had to see what a walking d-bag looks like). Poor guy. He reminds me of certain socially inept fug classmates in law school. Their arrogance was clearly just a coping mechanism to deal with their insecurity and other hang ups. They never learned how to own their awkwardness and not be evil. Just stayed bitter. What a waste.

Do they have interventions for addictions to narcissism and jerkwadness? Someone call A&E. Hopefully one day this dude will see the light and learn about fun concepts like compassion and gratitude.

And now I will never have to think of him again. Yay

Ps: by light I mean what one sees immediately following a severe ass beating.

"PS See John Tesh rave about my act!"

'Nuf said.

Banned

I also have to assume that some people are emailing him back with responses like "you're an inspiration," and "keep up the good work!"

It'd take less time to just send out his tax return with personal information blacked out.

This might mark the first time that the words "avoirdupois" and "embonpoint" have ever been used by a human being.

Hey, the Austin comics were fucking hilarious! I'm still laughing at Eric Krug's chicken/uncle stories, and just as I was thinking that Lucas Molandes reminds me of the kind of comic I was trying to be before I quit, I learn that he quit for a while, too, which gives hope to the self-hating fuck-up in me (by which I mean, me entirely.)

-"I know I shouldn't be gloating.......Note the $10,000 Rolex… a present to myself after my first $10,000 show!"

I'm for real. forward me these. Start a tumblr. Something. ANYTHING

I applaud you Marc for the way you handled this guy's emails. It saddens me to see that this douche bag is Indian! As a young stand up who is Indian, it does irritate me to see Indian people get into comedy just to milk it... yeah there are a lot of Indian crowds out there who are wealthy and will throw money at comedians. I've done one of those type of shows, made a little money but the audience wasn't too into my act. Mainly because I don't do that type of act. I have no interest in mentioning how goofy and un-Westernized my parents are. But regardless Dan's free to do the type of comedy he sees fit and we have the freedom to not care for it, and you have the freedom not to put that pretentious piece of shit on your show.
    Last edited by A Shot Glass of Humor; November 5, 2010 at 1:16 PM.
    Follow me on Twitter... it counts as a charitable contribution!
    http://twitter.com/thedailyprateek

Quote Originally Posted by P-Dub View Post
    This might mark the first time that the words "avoirdupois" and "embonpoint" have ever been used by a human being.
    This is kind of a super-interesting point. It fits with his self-aggrandizing attitude that he would choose out of a thesaurus the most arcane words he could for "fat." Very interesting indeed.

Maybe someone should start a thread about him and then hip him to it and see what happens.

Quote Originally Posted by A Shot Glass of Humor View Post
    I applaud you Marc for the way you handled this guy's emails. It saddens me to see that this douche bag is Indian! As a young stand up who is Indian, it does irritate me to see Indian people get into comedy just to milk it... yeah there are a lot of Indian crowds out there who are wealthy and will throw money at comedians. I've done one of those type of shows, made a little money but the audience wasn't too into my act. Mainly because I wasn't talking about how un-American my immigrant parents were and how 7-11 clerks talk to me.
    But have you said "I'm like Harold and Kumar", and then stepped back for 1-2 minutes, to bask in the laughter? If not, you may need to buy a Rolex, and learn somethin.

Quote Originally Posted by P-Dub View Post
    Disquisitive Jerkwaddery afflicts 97% of pompous galoots.

Sadly, it's benign.

Enough about the self-hating indian comic dipwad that shall remain anonymous. Did anyone see Ira Glass on the Daily Show? In a friggin' lycra green screen onesie? (I'm not kidding)

P.s. His blog post is a great reference guide on where to start with WTF for the uninitiated. Thanks to him I was hipped to the Mencia eps (for whatever reason I hadn't gotten to those yet and had no clue about the controversy). Amazingness. Marc, you dealt with that sociopath better than any therapist. I couldn't believe you had the self-restraint to not burst out laughing (or bitch slap him) when he commended himself for not allowing his friends to beat the sh*t out of comics that speak ill of him.

Quote Originally Posted by kelisgold View Post
    Enough about the self-hating indian comic dipwad that shall remain anonymous. Did anyone see Ira Glass on the Daily Show? In a friggin' lycra green screen onesie? (I'm not kidding)
    Yes! Jon Stewart even looked a bit shocked, and goes, "oh wait, that's actually Ira Glass".