Page 101 of 145 FirstFirst ... 9196979899100101102103104105106111 ... LastLast
Results 2,001 to 2,020 of 2900

Thread: WTF with Marc Maron (podcast)

Re: WTF with Marc Maron (podcast)

Really, really enjoyed the Jonathan Winters episode. The guy really is one of a kind.

My first memories of him were not from Mork and Mindy, but from his Showtime sketch show. It was terrific and was a great way to showcase his comedy genius.

Had absolutely no idea who he was but that was another great interview with another genuine, lovely person.

I YouTubed him as I listened and, without knowing anything of his connection with Robin Williams, was immediately struck by how many of his mannerisms Williams seems to have absorbed. It's a pity the Mork & Mindy episodes he's attached to are from the worst of the show's run; just watched one, painful stuff. But there loads of other clips, where he's not constrained by a stupid script, that are fantastic. Try not to be charmed by this (while trying not to think of Williams!) or this.

Thanks for the intro to his stuff, Marc.

I remember seeing Winters on a short-lived sitcom with Randy Quaid called Davis Rules (or something like that). The only thing I remember about the show is that Winters's lines were very obviously not scripted - it's like they left sections for him to improvise whatever crazy thing he could come up with.

Also, anyone that hasn't seen The Loved One should do so immediately. It's definitely weird and one of a kind and it seems insane to think that it came out in 1965.

I've been lurking for awhile and finally had to post. I suppose I'm old, but I can't remember a world without Jonathan Winters. He's always been an absolute genius of comedy, and I love Marc even more than I did (which was a lot) for his respect. A beautiful, beautiful interview.

1 members found this post helpful.

I listened to a chunk of the Laura Kightlinger episode with Laurie Kilmartin in my head. Didn't realize my mistake until about 25 minutes in!

About Jonathan Winters. I LOVE HIM. I was only slightly familiar with his work before I'd read Seriously Funny: The Rebel Comedians of the 1950s and 1960s, but since, I've been a HUGE fan. Then later, I learned of his mental health issues and felt even more of a connection. Great episode. Great guy!

1 members found this post helpful.

Sally Wade episode is extremely touching. The awkward saturn/jupiter conversation with marc and a moment silence is pretty priceless.
    Jersey City's infamous comedy group, The Upset Triangle

My dad and his whole family is from Springfield, OH, which Jonathan Winters mentions in as a childhood home in the episode. My dad has always been a big fan and even waited on him at a restaurant in Springfield as a teenager and got his autograph on a napkin. I grew up with his comedy from my dad. I got exposed to Winters, Carlin and Brian Regan as a child from my dad. Not bad.

-Tom
    Pardo: So what?
    Belknap: So...plenty. Sew buttons.

My dad was a huge Carlin and Winters fan, so the last few WTFs have really made me miss him. The only comedy idols my dad and I shared when I was a kid that are still with us at this point are Chris Elliot, Letterman and Jonathan Winters.
    "The wisdom and the the spiritual beauty within Roy Jr ... it's just effin sick!"

I've been waiting for the Steve Byrne WTF for a while now.
    Ever since Dane Cook's episode.

BFH

Is that really how you say "ramen"?

Quote Originally Posted by BFH View Post
    Is that really how you say "ramen"?
    Yes, everybody loves Ramen.

9 members found this post helpful.

Steve Byrne sounds simultaneously like he has thought a lot about race in America and hasn't thought about it at all.

"The problem with TV is that there aren't enough negative portrayals of black people!"
    "He's got a dick, why won't he talk about it?"
    -Jimmy Pardo

3 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Kentock View Post
    Steve Byrne sounds simultaneously like he has thought a lot about race in America and hasn't thought about it at all.

"The problem with TV is that there aren't enough negative portrayals of black people!"
    Agreed. Mark makes me smile when people say dumb shit, and then he's like "what? I don't think you're thinking this through, cause it's really like this."

I quite liked Steve Byrne, I remember really loving his "Happy Hour" special when I first saw it.The issue with Dane was very funny to hear about but it seems like that and (especially) the racial stuff monopolized the interview and I wish they'd gotten into more things.

Quote Originally Posted by Kentock View Post

That was just one of his thoughts over a bigger idea. That's like quoting someone out of context. He even wrapped it up, by saying it should be equal across all ethnicities. He also pointed out, that it was just one of his bullet points, in a 10 minute bit, which of course, we didn't hear the entire thing. I don't think he sounded racist at all, especially since we only got a glimpse of what his overall point was. That's kinda why most comedians don't like people taping their stuff, and putting it on youtube, if it isn't fleshed out yet. Kinda the same with this, we didn't see his entire fleshed out point.

It's a sensitive subject, so I can see how people can get a bit emotional about it, though.

Marc's path to world domination continues... WTF going to Public Radio

Enjoyed the Steve Byrne episode more than I thought I would. Fantastic story about Dane Cooke. Told it to my wife and she couldn't believe it. Too funny.

Shandling on Monday? Holy shit!

Listening to Maron talk to Adam Corolla on latest with Phil Rosenthal. Is it my imagination, or did Marc try to get a backstage pass and/or participate at Corolla's show at The Wiltern, only for his hints to be ignored as Adam gave him a comp ticket to sit with the public instead?

It seemed like Adam and Marc were joking to me.

Seemed more like a paid plug (by Adam) to me. With Marc injecting some humor into it.

Which, if true, would be a pretty smart thing for comedians to do. Promote big gigs on Marc's podcast. Much better than doing a spot on the Morning Zoo in whichever city you may be in.