Thread: TYF! Podcast #5.9 "GEORGE CARLIN WAY" w/ KEVIN BARTINI, PATRICK CARLIN, LEWIS BLACK

TYF! Podcast #5.9 "GEORGE CARLIN WAY" w/ KEVIN BARTINI, PATRICK CARLIN, LEWIS BLACK

Hey dudes, I'm relaunching the TYF! podcast.

Here's episode #3.1:

As you can see in the photo above the live taping of the TYF! podcast was a blast. I don't really think I need to sell you guys on this too hard, except to say interviewing Lewis Black and Gilbert Gottfried was a total blast.

In this issue, we talk about hell gigs, corporate gigs, TV gigs, Lewis takes us on the journey creating a TV show with David E. Kelley, Gilbert talks about how Twitter can be an expensive hobby (and midway through, busts out an impression as surprising as it was dead-on accurate).

You can download it right here

(PHOTO: MINDY TUCKER withreservation)

REVIEWS:
    The AV Club:
    "Tell Your Friends favors a genteel, literary tone that evokes the soothing storytelling of Ira Glass and This American Life more than the comedy-podcast template of comedians gabbing with other comedians about comedy stuff...
    McEneaney’s curiosity and affection for people and their fascinating imperfections comes through in both his stories and interviews. Tell Your Friends has a cozy, nicely lived-in feel."

Splitsider:
    "More of a magazine-style show than a straight comic-on-comic interview... Tell Your Friends! has a more polished feel than the average podcast, tightly edited with jingles and commercials that you won’t need to skip through."

CultureBrats.com:
    "...I so immensely enjoy the Tell Your Friends podcast. It's like a funnier, more alternative version of NPR. Host and producer Liam McEneaney calls each episode an "issue," like an issue of a magazine, which is the best way to describe it. Each episode includes a variety of formats, including interviews, storytelling, written comedic monologues, and other free-flowing thoughts. Liam McEneany is a longtime staple of the New York comedy scene and therefore has a lot of connections, but seems to value having interesting and engaging guests with a particular story to tell rather than personal friends."
    Last edited by HeyItsLiam; October 29, 2014 at 7:15 AM.
    You can follow me on Twitter.

I have an album, called Comedian, on ASpecialThing Records. Be one of the literally dozens who have already bought it.

1 members found this post helpful.

Re: TYF! PODCAST #3.1 live with GILBERT GOTTFRIED and LEWIS BLACK

COMING MONDAY:

I have an album, called Comedian, on ASpecialThing Records. Be one of the literally dozens who have already bought it.

Re: TYF! PODCAST #3.1 live with GILBERT GOTTFRIED and LEWIS BLACK

Episode 3.2 KAKI KING, MIKE DOUGHTY, KAMBRI CREWS

Here's episode #3.1:

It's the Music Nerd Issue!

In this week's issue of Tell Your Friends! History's Greatest podcast, we speak to guitar virtuoso Kaki King, whom Rolling Stone called one oftheir Top 100 Guitar Gods about her start in music, her technique, her marriage, and touring with the Foo Fighters and playing with Dave Grohl.

We also speak to Mike Doughty about his album of reimaginings of Soul Coughing songs, his philosophy on dog "parenting," and the most '90s music phrase.

Kambri Crews tells us the story of how Satanic rock provided her with Salvation, and Liam McEneaney tells us a couple stories about brushes with fame and death.

This week's issue is sponsored by Liam McEneaney's album, Comedian. You can buy it here.

You can follow us on Twitter.

Theme song by A Brief View of the Hudson.

REVIEWS:
    The AV Club:
    "Tell Your Friends favors a genteel, literary tone that evokes the soothing storytelling of Ira Glass and This American Life more than the comedy-podcast template of comedians gabbing with other comedians about comedy stuff...
    McEneaney’s curiosity and affection for people and their fascinating imperfections comes through in both his stories and interviews. Tell Your Friends has a cozy, nicely lived-in feel."

Splitsider:
    "More of a magazine-style show than a straight comic-on-comic interview... Tell Your Friends! has a more polished feel than the average podcast, tightly edited with jingles and commercials that you won’t need to skip through."

CultureBrats.com:
    "...I so immensely enjoy the Tell Your Friends podcast. It's like a funnier, more alternative version of NPR. Host and producer Liam McEneaney calls each episode an "issue," like an issue of a magazine, which is the best way to describe it. Each episode includes a variety of formats, including interviews, storytelling, written comedic monologues, and other free-flowing thoughts. Liam McEneany is a longtime staple of the New York comedy scene and therefore has a lot of connections, but seems to value having interesting and engaging guests with a particular story to tell rather than personal friends."

Re: TYF! PODCAST #3.2 with KAKI KING, MIKE DOUGHTY, KAMBRI CREWS

EDITED
    Last edited by HeyItsLiam; April 4, 2014 at 6:42 AM.

Re: TYF! PODCAST #3.2 with KAKI KING, MIKE DOUGHTY, KAMBRI CREWS

TYF! #3.3 w/ DAVE HILL, BOB POWERS

DOWNLOAD IT HERE

In this week's issue, comedian, author, musician, and radio host Dave Hill tells us about how exactly he got on This American Life, and about his vacation down at a Mexican prison where he almost got murdered by a machete-wielding maniac (SPOILER: he isn't dead).

Bob Powers tells us a pair of short stories, and Liam McEneaney tells us what the hell he's been up to.

You can follow us on Twitter.

Theme song by A Brief View of the Hudson.

REVIEWS:
    The AV Club:

Splitsider:

CultureBrats.com:

Re: 6.24 TYF! PODCAST LIVE with Andy Borowitz, Jessi Klein, Bryan Tucker

SEE BELOW:
    Last edited by HeyItsLiam; July 27, 2014 at 10:24 AM.

Re: TYF! LIVE PODCAST PART 1 with Ophira Eisenberg, Lux Alptraum, Michele Carlo

Tell Your Friends! History's Greatest podcast returns with an all-new summer double issue. Part one features TYF!'s signature stories from some of New York City's best writers and storytellers. This week includes:

Ophira Eisenberg - host of NPR's Ask Me Another, and author of the memoir Screw Everyone: How I Slept My Way To Monogamy, You can learn more in her TYF! interview here.

Michele Carlo - Moth Slam Champion and author of the memoir Fish Out of Agua

Bob Powers - old friend of the show, and writer for someecards.com, mastermind behind the cult blog “Girls Are Pretty,” and author of the books “Happy Cruelty Day” and the “Just Make A Choice” choose your own adventure books for adults.

Lux Alptraum - former editrix-in-chief for fleshbot.com

Next week's issue features a live panel interview with Andy Borowitz, Jessi Klein, Andy Blitz, Chris Gethard, and Bryan Tucker.

Now you can support the TYF! podcast for as little as one dollar a month! Get advance listens to live shows and unedited interviews. Learn more here: www.patreon.com/Radio

You can subscribe on iTunes, or on Stitcher, or you can visit it on the web.

REVIEWS:
    The AV Club:

Splitsider:

CultureBrats.com:

Re: The TYF! Summer Spectacular with Andy Borowitz, Jessi Klein, Chris Gethard, Andy

The Tell Your Friends! History's Greatest Podcast! Summer Spectacular continues today with a panel discussion between Liam McEneaney and five of the best comedy writers working today. Recorded live at The Bell House.

Our panel talks about comedy writing, how to make it, their first jobs, Twitter, and what a dick Chevy Chase is.

IN CONVERSATION WITH:
    ANDY BOROWITZ – writer for The New Yorker, New York Times bestselling author, National Press Club award-winner, “Funniest man in America,” according to the CBS Sunday News Morning,one of the 50 Funniest American Writers according to the Library of America, and the co-creator The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air

ANDY BLITZ - has written for, and appeared on, "Late Night with Conan O'Brien," "Human Giant," "Important Things with Demetri Martin," "Eagleheart," and Comedy Central's "Review."

JESSI KLEIN - is head writer and executive producer of "Inside Amy Schumer," and has written for "Saturday Night Live." She also wrote and appeared on "Michael & Michael Have Issues" and "The Showbiz Show with David Spade," had a half-hour special on Comedy Central, and is a regular panelist on NPR's "Wait Wait, Don't Tell Me!"

CHRIS GETHARD - is a comedian and improvisor, the host of the cult hit The Chris Gethard Show, and star of a Comedy Central Half Hour special

BRYAN TUCKER – is the co-head writer of “Saturday Night Live,” where sketches he’s written and co-written include “What’s Up With That?” and “Black Jeopardy!” Previous credits include “Chappelle’s Show” (“The Racial Draft” sketch), MADTV, and “The Chris Rock Show.”
    (Listen to Bryan Tucker discuss his career here: http://tyfpodcast.tumblr.com/post/41685657436/issue-4-snl-supervising-writer-bryan-tucker)

REVIEWS:
    The AV Club:

Splitsider:

CultureBrats.com:

Re: The TYF! Summer Spectacular with Andy Borowitz, Jessi Klein, Chris Gethard, Andy

The Tell Your Friends! History's Greatest Podcast! Summer Spectacular continues today with a panel discussion between Liam McEneaney and five of the best comedy writers working today. Recorded live at The Bell House.

Our panel talks about comedy writing, how to make it, their first jobs, Twitter, and what a dick Chevy Chase is.

IN CONVERSATION WITH:
    ANDY BOROWITZ – writer for The New Yorker, New York Times bestselling author, National Press Club award-winner, “Funniest man in America,” according to the CBS Sunday News Morning,one of the 50 Funniest American Writers according to the Library of America, and the co-creator The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air

ANDY BLITZ - has written for, and appeared on, "Late Night with Conan O'Brien," "Human Giant," "Important Things with Demetri Martin," "Eagleheart," and Comedy Central's "Review."

JESSI KLEIN - is head writer and executive producer of "Inside Amy Schumer," and has written for "Saturday Night Live." She also wrote and appeared on "Michael & Michael Have Issues" and "The Showbiz Show with David Spade," had a half-hour special on Comedy Central, and is a regular panelist on NPR's "Wait Wait, Don't Tell Me!"

CHRIS GETHARD - is a comedian and improvisor, the host of the cult hit The Chris Gethard Show, and star of a Comedy Central Half Hour special

BRYAN TUCKER – is the co-head writer of “Saturday Night Live,” where sketches he’s written and co-written include “What’s Up With That?” and “Black Jeopardy!” Previous credits include “Chappelle’s Show” (“The Racial Draft” sketch), MADTV, and “The Chris Rock Show.”
    (Listen to Bryan Tucker discuss his career here: http://tyfpodcast.tumblr.com/post/41685657436/issue-4-snl-supervising-writer-bryan-tucker)

REVIEWS:
    The AV Club:

Splitsider:

CultureBrats.com:

Re: TYF! #5.1 with "TV's Frank" Conniff (MST 3k)

In this week's issue of the Tell Your Friends! podcast, we speak with "TV's Frank" Conniff, about his days on Mystery Science Theater 3000, getting his start in the New York City downtown comedy scene of the '80s, how getting sent to rehab was responsible for his career, how Lizz Winstead discovered him, and how he does not mind being thought of as a "nostalgia act."

Bob Powers tells the story of "Shower Cam Sheldon," and Liam talks about his childhood being raised as a nerd, and how nerd culture left him behind.

Theme song by A Brief View of the Hudson.

Become a supporter of the TYF! podcast for as little as five dollars a month and get exclusive unedited interviews and advance listens. For more info, go to www.Patreon.com/radio.

REVIEWS:
    The AV Club:

Splitsider:

CultureBrats.com:

Re: TYF! #5.3 "GEOGRAPHY LESSENS" WITH JON RONSON AND MAEVE HIGGINS, AND BOB POWERS

In this week's issue, we have a joint conversation with Jon Ronson and Maeve Higgins. Jon Ronson is the author of the international bestsellers Them: Adventures with Extremists, and The Psychopath Test,as well as co-writer of the movie Frank, in theatres now, about his adventures with the Frank Sidebottom Oh Blimey Big Band, as well as the forthcoming book, Frank: The True Story That Inspired The Movie.

We also speak with Maeve Higgins, Irish comedy star, author of the wonderfully charming memoir We Have A Good Time Don't We?and cohost, with Jon, of the show "I'm New Here--Can You Show Me Around?"

We also get a story from Bob Powers, "Jeff and the 37 Year-Old Woman," and Liam talks about meeting George Takei and missing Robin Williams.

SUPPORT THE TYF! PODCAST!
    We need fans like you to help ensure great episodes like this one. Donate at our Patreon page here.

REVIEWS:
    The AV Club:

Splitsider:

CultureBrats.com:
    Last edited by HeyItsLiam; August 19, 2014 at 5:59 AM.

Re: TYF! LIVE #3: MIKE DOUGHTY and JULIA WERTZ

DOWNLOAD BY CLICKING ON THE PICTURE:

Long-time fans will recognize David and Caroline from previous live issues. Live show #1 (with Gilbert Gottfried and Lewis Black), listeners heard Liam McEneaney making fun of them for finding a seat up front after the taping had started. Live show #2 (with Andy Borowitz, Jessi Klein, Chris Gethard, Ophira Eisenberg, and MORE) found Liam reading from an old Dear Abby book he found in their apartment.

For the third live taping show, Liam takes the action to David and Caroline's back yard in Long Island City, Queens, for a relaxed barbecue/podcast taping in front of a select audience of some friends. Returning TYF! champ Mike Doughty debuts a pair of new songs from his next album, Stellar Motel, plays banjo publicly for the first time ever, and talks about crowdfunding and the most surprisingly popular item he offers as an incentive.

You can still pledge to Mike's campaign here: http://www.pledgemusic.com/projects/mikedoughty2

After getting of to a bit of a rocky start, Julia Wertz opens up about her career as an "urban explorer," breaking into abandoned sites and taking pictures, about her hellish birthday vacation with a politician who told her he cheated on her in an island paradise, and about her forthcoming book, Museum of Mistakes. 

You can check out her site: http://www.adventurebibleschool.com/

All that, and Leslie Goshko tells a story about why she only took one friend on a family vacation that one time, and Liam McEneaney reads a piece he wrote for an evening of John Hughes fanfiction reading.

Episode recorded by: Patrick Holbert

If you enjoy this podcast, you can contribute to our Patreon site, and for a small monthly fee you'll get advance listens to live episodes like this, and unedited interviews and other bonus content. Click here to help: http://www.patreon.com/Radio

REVIEWS:
    The AV Club:

Splitsider:

CultureBrats.com:

Last edited by HeyItsLiam; September 3, 2014 at 10:51 AM.

Re: TYF! BEST OF VOL. II WITH LEWIS BLACK, GILBERT GOTTFRIED, STEPHEN TOBOLOWSKY, MOR

YOU CAN DOWNLOAD BY CLICKING ON THE PICTURE:

This week's issue of the TYF! podcast is Best of Volume 2, with stories from Adam Wade and Kambri Crews, and music from Alana Amram and Eden & John. 

Also, enjoy some of the best excerpts from interviews with Lewis BlackGilbert GottfriedBaratunde ThurstonStephen TobolowskyOphira EisenbergJulia Wertz, and David O'Doherty.

To support TYF!, please contribute at http://patreon.com/radio

REVIEWS:
    The AV Club:

Splitsider:

CultureBrats.com:
    Last edited by HeyItsLiam; October 8, 2014 at 3:23 PM.

Re: TYF! #5.4 w/ Brooklyn rapper CLARA BIZNA$$

Click picture to download:

In this week's issue of the TYF! podcast, we talk to Clara Bizna$$ of Brooklyn hip-hop trio Hand Job Academy. Liam and Clara discuss hip-hop, being taken seriously as a hip-hop artist, mental illness, suicidal depression, and audition to be a Princess at, and working as a cartoon in, The Happiest Place On Earth. It's a truly riveting conversation, and you're gonna like it.

In addition, we get two stories from Bob Powers, and Liam McEneaney briefly eulogizes Joan Rivers and tells the story of getting arrested for prank calling a schoolmate.

You can buy Hand Job Academy's debut album, #IKEAMonkey, at http://handjobacademy.bandcamp.com

Support TYF! at http://patreon.com/radio

REVIEWS:
    The AV Club:

Splitsider:

CultureBrats.com:

Re: TYF! #5.5 w/ DAILY SHOW co-creator LIZZ WINSTEAD

DOWNLOAD BY CLICKING ON THE PICTURE:

In this week's issue of Tell Your Friends! History's Greatest Podcast!, we speak to Lizz Winstead, co-creator of The Daily Show with Jon Stewart, about gender roles in fabric in the Middle East, about living in Brooklyn, about a proposed Mitch Hedberg hologram show, and about her pro-reproductive rights rally Saturday, September 27th, called "V to Shining V" held in cities across the nation, and about which you can learn more at http://ladypartsjustice.com/v-to-shining-v/

In addition, Kambri Crews tells us a story about her entry into show business, and Bob Powers tells us a cautionary tale about falling in love with your driving instructor.

All this, and Liam discusses the People's Climate March, the outward migration of hipsters, and what it means to have an "Only In New York" experience.

Support for TYF! comes from listeners like you. Please support us through our crowdfunding campaign at http://www.patreon.com/Radio

REVIEWS:
    The AV Club:

Splitsider:

CultureBrats.com:

Re: TYF! Live #4 w/ JANEANE GAROFALO

TO DOWNLOAD, CLICK THIS PICTURE:

"I just want to be well-liked" - Janeane Garofalo

This week, another live issue of the TYF! podcast recorded at le poisson rouge in downtown Manhattan on Bleecker Street. This week, Liam enjoys a freewheeling conversation with comedy legend JANEANE GAROFALO about her favorite television series, the origins of her neoludditism, the elimination of colors from the rainbow and planets from the Solar System, about how the line at Whole Foods is civic action at its finest, and so much more.

In addition, Liam talks to his cousin, the musician Sarah Goldstone and singer/songwriter Matt Sucich.

Please support TYF!'s crowdfunding campaign at www.patreon.com/radio

REVIEWS:
    The AV Club:

Splitsider:

CultureBrats.com:

Re: TYF! Live #4 w/ JANEANE GAROFALO

TO DOWNLOAD, CLICK THE PICTURE BELOW:

In this week's issue, we speak to Gary Marinoff, a real New York comedy character; a 35-year veteran of the open mic comedy scene and a regular background actor on 30 Rock.

And before you decide to wait until next week for a more famous interview, definitely take the time to listen to this, one of the most compelling and human interviews TYF! has done.

Gary discusses what it takes to follow his dream in show business, how he's been homeless, has been in and out of the shelters, about losing his mother, the only person who believed in him and supported his showbusiness ambition and encouraged him to live his life to the fullest. And about how Philip Michael Thomas got him his SAG card, and how Tina Fey is one of the nicest people you could want to work for in showbiz.

In addition, we get a poem from Dale Goodson and a fan favorite story from Bob Powers.

You can support the TYF! podcast at Patreon.

REVIEWS:
    The AV Club:

Splitsider:

CultureBrats.com:
    Last edited by HeyItsLiam; October 8, 2014 at 3:21 PM.

Re: TYF! Podcast #5.7 w/ LEWIS BLACK

CLICK PHOTO TO DOWNLOAD:

In this week's issue of Tell Your Friends! History's Greatest Podcast!, we speak to comedy great Lewis Black about his early days in the theater, starting standup opening for plays, how standup helped his playwriting, how he has always believed in running his own spaces, how he threw a chair across the room at the legendary Catch A Rising Star, what he teaches his comedy students, and how the news media has failed and will rise again.  This is a particularly great one, and we highly recommend giving it a listen.

In addition, Jennifer Glick tells us a story about going on an extreme diet as a teenager, and Jamie Casbon tells us part one of a story about coming to terms with being a transgender male.

Also, Liam McEneaney talks about his first time doing standup as part of a contest.

PLEASE SUPPORT TYF! ON PATREON: www.patreon.com/radio

Buy Lewis Black's latest special Old Yeller here, and the rest of his back catalogue here.

REVIEWS:
    The AV Club:

Splitsider:

CultureBrats.com:

Re: TYF! Podcast #5.9 "GEORGE CARLIN WAY" w/ KEVIN BARTINI, PATRICK CARLIN, LEWIS BLA

DOWNLOAD THE EPISODE BY CLICKING THE PICTURE:

PHOTO: Daan van Versendaal

George Carlin
     was a child of New York City, having grown up on the corner of 121st and Amsterdam in the 1930s and '40s. On October 22nd, 2014, after three years of fighting City Hall and the Catholic Church, the City of New York named that corner "George Carlin Way" in his honor.

This is the story of two obsessed men, one whose obsessions led him to become one of the world's greatest comedians, and one whose obsession led him to getting George Carlin Way its name.

We speak to Patrick Carlin, George Carlin's brother, about his life and the neighborhood they grew up in together, we speak to Larry Getlen, author of Conversations With Carlin, about Carlin's life and career, and Kevin Bartini, the comedian who spearheaded the campaign, about his fight with Carlin's old Catholic School to get the street named.

In addition, we  speak to the comedians who knew him and were influenced by him, including Lewis Black, Dave Attell, Orson Bean, Kelly Carlin, Eddie Brill, Jon Fisch,  Judah Friedlander, Gilbert Gottfried, Tony Hendra, Robert Klein, Jeff Kreisler, Liam McEneaney,  Jim Norton, Colin Quinn, and his widow, Sally Wade.

In addition, we'll hear Carlin's story in his own words, via old interviews and a bootleg recording. And finally, we recorded the actual speeches made at the ceremony by Colin Quinn and Kevin Bartini.

To support the TYF! podcast, go to our Patreon campaign page.

The Tell Your Friends! theme song was written and performed by A Brief View of the Hudson

The following photos were all taken exclusively for the podcast by Daan van Versendaal:

BUY THIS THING:

REVIEWS:
    The AV Club:

Splitsider:

CultureBrats.com: