Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: The Three Stooges

Re: The Three Stooges

James Gandolfini does a great Curly.
    What was the best concert you've been to?

"Probably Sade. It was just so sexy and relaxing."

1 members found this post helpful.

Howard Stern really liked it: http://soundcloud.com/hamfatter/stern-on-stooges
    hi, i'm steve

Quote Originally Posted by suavepebble View Post
    That's how it should be. How weird would it be if Curly yelped out, "Go fuck yourself, Moe! Nyuk nyuk nyuk"

Or the stooges walk into a sorority and see some actual titties while Curly does his horny dog bark routine.

"She's a real humdinger, Moe! Look at those cans on that dame!" -- Larry

"Quiet you.... bitch" -- Moe
    Reminds me of this Peter Serafinowicz sketch:

2 members found this post helpful.

Hahaha, not only was that funny, it was actualized about as well as you could possibly hope for. Thanks for posting that, Brasky... love it.

It just dawned on me... the perfect Shemp: Tommy Lee Jones.

Josh Brolin would play a great "young Shemp".

5 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveAgee View Post
    Man, I hope this movie really is a pleasant surprise and this isn't just a repeat of that time David Letterman kept raving to Adam Sandler how much he liked Jack and Jill. Please be right Howard.

SHEMP!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Monty View Post
    I just don't know why people couldn't watch actual Three Stooges if that's what they want. There's lots of the real thing out there!
    Because there's no hot swimsuit nun cleavage in those, that's why.

This movie was done about as well as a Three Stooges movie could be done. It was really a love letter to the old Stooges films, down to it being formatted as three "shorts" (complete with title cards) and, as mentioned above, there being no bad language, nudity, or even sexual-related humor in it (a couple of boob jokes due to Sofia Vergara's presence). There were a couple of nods to it being set in 2012 (mentions of Facebook, "poking", Twitter, etc.), but really the sensibility of it was straight out of the 1940s and '50s. There was no pie fight, fruit cart, or guys carrying a pane of glass, but there were sticks of dynamite, mallets, and eye pokes galore.

What was interesting was that you could definitely tell it was a Farrelly Brothers movie as well, because it had a lot of their trademarks (upbeat montages set to pop music, flash-forwards to "20 years later", etc.) So it was an interesting combination of their style and the old Three Stooges style, and it worked pretty well for the most part. Surreal touches like Larry David dressed as a nun and a group of orphans randomly breaking into song really added a lot. The guy that aenematron thought was John Stossel getting hit by a bus is actually Craig Bierko in a moustache, and he is pretty much the perfect guy to be the villain in a movie of this type.

The only thing I thought was missing was in a scene that was set in a hospital where the Stooges find themselves dressed as doctors, they really should have snuck a "Paging Dr. Howard, Dr. Fine, Dr. Howard" reference in there. If you see the movie, be sure to stick around through the end credits for a funny scene where
    Spoiler:  

If Brasky didn't hate it and want to spit in its fucking face on principle then it must be good and now I am excited to see this!!!!

Saw this with my dad at an Arclight theatre. He was not disappointed with me OR the movie!

He was disappointed with Sean Hayes' Larry though.

I didn't even know that was Sean Hayes until you said that... holy shit.

I dropped my son and a buddy off to see it on Saturday and they LOVED it. So, it satisfies the 11-12 year old boy crowd.

Brasky, did it get your endorsement? I couldn't really tell. Or it's the lack of sleep I've had of late.

Quote Originally Posted by thecomedian View Post
    Brasky, did it get your endorsement? I couldn't really tell. Or it's the lack of sleep I've had of late.
    I liked it. If you are a Stooges fan, you will definitely like it. If you're not, you'll probably still find things to laugh at, because there are verbal jokes mixed in there along with the physical humor (i.e. Larry carrying a bunch of balloons and saying "Hey, where can I put these down, these things are heavy")

17. The post by aenemaTron is hidden due to low votes. Click expand to view it.

In fairness, that's probably funnier hearing it in the movie, in context, then just reading it written down.

To make things even worse Brasky did technically misuse i.e., e.g. would have been more appropriate.

One thing I don't think ever got mentioned in this thread was how ridiculous it is that Larry David's nun character is old at the beginning of the movie and yet is still somehow the same age at the end, which is ostensibly 20-something years later.
    A nice surreal touch.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast