Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: SXSW Comedy: Looking for submissions!

SXSW Comedy: Looking for submissions!

Hey everyone - I'm doing some helping out of the SXSW Comedy booking this year. We did it last year and it was "hella" fun. Sold out crowds, energetic shows, and passes to see the world's largest and most exciting music festival!

This year the festival is looking for fresh, up and coming talent to showcase. What that means is - they're looking for people who want to drive or fly themselves out there and put themselves up for the opportunity to be on the shows.

The upside? Well, you'll get all-access festival badges, for one. These allow you to cut to the front of the lines for any of the shows. This came in very handy for me last year - I basically got into any show I wanted to see. Some shows ONLY allow people with badges to enter. And all the clubs are really small and intimate - I saw MGMT play in a tiny restaurant bar, the size of an El Torito.

The festival will help the performers with their hotels - meaning they won't PAY for them, but they'll help you acquire hotel rooms to which that the general public do not have access. This comes in handy, because it is extremely hard to get rooms at this stage.

So who's interested? Keep in mind - the festival won't accept everyone who agrees to come out there. So don't just pack your shit and start driving now. Basically everyone needs to be cleared by us.

But the good thing is, if you are an experienced performer who does CDR already, this will be the easiest festival submission you will ever er... submit. I have my big, red, "APPROVED" rubber stamp at the ready.

The shows are March 20 and 21. I believe you could probably come out earlier than that, and stay for as much or as little of the festival as you wish.

If you are interested, please contact me. If you don't know me personally, shoot an email to comedydeathray@yahoo.com .

And until next time, the balcony is closed!!

Re: SXSW Comedy: Looking for submissions!

By the way - the festival has told me that the hotel rooms can be had for about $100 a night, and that performers can share/double up.

Bumping this up again... LA, where you at?

By the way, out of all the people who have responded, I only know a couple of them, so looks like I am going to have to watch submissions, etc. So it may take me a while to get back to you.

Just to clarify - not everyone who responds is automatically on the show. We need to watch the submissions, figure out if we can offer you a spot, etc.

There's a listing of a few of the people on the lineup on sxsw.com (along with all that music business)

Eugene Mirman, Todd Barry, Janeane Garofalo, John Mulaney, Nick Kroll, Brendon Walsh, Matt Bearden, Hannibal Buress, Dax Shepard, Eric Krug, John Lajoie, Margaret Cho, Tig Notaro, Alex Koll

Looking forward to it!

edit: This is 2 nights this year? Awesome!
    Last edited by hound; February 15, 2009 at 6:43 PM.

Okay, thanks for your submissions everyone! I've sent along my recommendations to SXSW. They'll take a look at them, and anyone they accept, they'll get a hold of you through the email address you sent me. Thanks again and we'll see you on the silver screen!!

Looks like comedy guests were announced...looks like I'm making the drive from Iowa to see these. Check it here: http://sxsw.com/music/shows/schedule...genre&s=Comedy

Quote Originally Posted by punkdc View Post
    Looks like comedy guests were announced...looks like I'm making the drive from Iowa to see these. Check it here: http://sxsw.com/music/shows/schedule...genre&s=Comedy
    Anyone who didn't know alphabetical order would think I must be important.
    I'm a comic. My website is mark-agee.com

Scott, or anyone who went last year: do I need a badge to get into these comedy shows? I'd love to see some of these, but don't want to drive down if I have to drop $600 on a badge. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by punkdc View Post
    Scott, or anyone who went last year: do I need a badge to get into these comedy shows? I'd love to see some of these, but don't want to drive down if I have to drop $600 on a badge. Thanks!
    I'm pretty sure they're changing it up this year (also don't think that the schedule is final), but last year, you had to have a badge or wristband to get in with the first batch, then those who got there super early were allowed to purchase single tickets. If you do this, you're pretty-much in for the night.

There was a second stage that was badge only last year as well, but it was all the same people.

Mo!

Congratulations to punkdc and to Matt Ruby (rubymatt on this board) for making the cut!
    "You're a ghost!"- Tom Scharpling

Congrats to Mary Van Note and Alex Koll.

Bay Area Represent!
    Hey, check me out. I'm a ghost.

Thanks Mo, looking fwd to it. A lot.

Quote Originally Posted by RegularKarate View Post
    I'm pretty sure they're changing it up this year (also don't think that the schedule is final), but last year, you had to have a badge or wristband to get in with the first batch, then those who got there super early were allowed to purchase single tickets. If you do this, you're pretty-much in for the night.

There was a second stage that was badge only last year as well, but it was all the same people.
    How are they changing it up? Haven't SXSW shows worked like that for years?

I remember it being pretty easy to get in last year, even without a wristband (I didn't have one), but I could be wrong. Also, I think they only did one night of shows last year, so that might decrease the load. And it looks like they're still doing both stages. Most of the comics are listed for one show at Esther's and one show at Velveeta Room.

I would say it's very likely you'll be able to get in, if you show up pretty early. Plus, I bet a bunch of these comics will be involved in some free daytime shows, and I've heard rumors of more stand up shows in smaller venues around town.

Quote Originally Posted by MarkAgee View Post
    Anyone who didn't know alphabetical order would think I must be important.
    I clicked that link and the first thing I saw was "Agee".
    I was so confused. Still am.
    Are we related?
    hi, i'm steve

Quote Originally Posted by Mo! View Post
    Congratulations to punkdc and to Matt Ruby (rubymatt on this board) for making the cut!
    I don't think I made the cut, just asking lots of questions. Maybe hoping to run into a lot of fellow ASTers while I'm down.

This is going to be an awesome weekend of comedy. All these awesome shows (which were really amazing last year and had a TON to do with me actually starting comedy), plus on my way back home Sunday I'm going to Greg Behrendt/Jen Kirkman in Dallas.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveAgee View Post
    I clicked that link and the first thing I saw was "Agee".
    I was so confused. Still am.
    Are we related?
    Perhaps? My dad was a long-haul trucker who spread his seed indiscriminately.

(Not kidding.)

But unless it's a "my dad has a secret family in another state" kind of situation, I think it's probably a coincidence. But if your dad was also a long-haul trucker, please PM me. My day has been pretty boring so far.
    I'm a comic. My website is mark-agee.com

Quote Originally Posted by Cameron View Post
    This is going to be an awesome weekend of comedy. All these awesome shows (which were really amazing last year and had a TON to do with me actually starting comedy), plus on my way back home Sunday I'm going to Greg Behrendt/Jen Kirkman in Dallas.
    Pretty sure Jen replied to you in her thread and said there is no show that Sunday night. You might want to look into it.

I am also performing at SXSW. Turn in your badges.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast