Page 1 of 19 12345611 ... LastLast

Thread: Simpsons thread

Simpsons thread

We didn't have one yet on the new board.

Last night's episode was really cute. The jokes were really clever (the "LISA"-"ILSA" thing; applauding for words that have been removed from the dictionary in the past year, "San Francisco People Mover", etc.) The best thing about it was that it really had heart. It's been a while since there was a Homer-Lisa episode, but this was a good one. Normally when I watch the show, even if I'm laughing at the jokes, I'm grumbling about how the characters are acting out of character or the pacing of the episode was weird, but this one I just had a big smile on my face. It seemed like a season 3 or season 4 episode.
    And that was the real Sunday New York Times crossword puzzle for this week at the end, which is neat.

Re: Simpsons thread

I downloaded all of the Simpsons from seasons 1-18, and have really been enjoying it. I watched the show a lot as a kid (that would be like seasons 2-6) and occasionally since then, but not regularly.

I'm somewhere in season 15 right now, and while some of the seasons between like 8 and 15 were very inconsistent, I'm impressed by how much I've enjoyed the show generally. Season 14, for example, I enjoyed pretty much straight through. I guess maybe I'm willing to accept something kind of crazy happening, as long as the characters react to it (cartoon) honestly. I don't like it when a bunch of different crazy stuff happens. The show's been relatively light on that, though.

Yeah, I think it's pretty universally acknowledged that Seasons 9-12 (the Scully years) were the weakest period in the show's history, but once Al Jean came back in Season 13, the show started getting better. It took a few years for the show to get back to where it is now, which is (usually) fairly consistent. I think the key thing (which you've also picked up on, Jesse) is that the show is better when they simplify the plots. For a while, it seemed like every episode had to have 12 crazy plots going on at once, and a cameo from every single character in the Simpsons universe, which is ridiculous. The show is much better when they concentrate on one plot, or at the most two. In last night's episode, there wasn't even a subplot, and the first part of the show flowed very naturally into the main storyline. Even when the show was at its craziest (the Mirkin era), everything was still grounded within a somewhat conventional storyline. The thing I hate most is when I get to the end of a Simpsons episode and say "What was that episode even about?"

What is universally acknowledged as the best period?

I would say Season 4, but I know there's a few people on here (like Jouster) who really like Seasons 7 and 8, which were the Oakley-Weinstein seasons.

Seasons 5 and 6 (the Mirkin years) are probably the funniest seasons, in terms of gags. That was when the "stuff exploding for no reason"-type humor hit its peak.

Season 4's a good mixture of character-driven episodes ("A Streetcar Named Marge", "Homer the Heretic", "Lisa's First Word") and silliness (the monorail episode, Whacking Day, "Dental plan! Lisa needs braces!", etc.)

Not that anyone asked, but I'd say seasons 7-8. Every episode is solid gold.
    Hey, check me out. I'm a ghost.

jon

I love 2-8. Everyone overlooks seasons 2 and 3, but they're pretty hilarious and the emotion in them is really genuine (episodes like "Simpson and Delilah," "Dead Putting Society," the three-eyed fish episode, "Itchy & Scratchy & Marge," "Lisa's Substitute," "When Flanders Failed, "Bart the Lover" and "Saturdays of Thunder"). That's also when the directors started exploring the possibilities of what they could do, and there are some gorgeous scenes and backgrounds (I think on the old board I singled out "Simpson and Delilah" specifically at some point).

Because no one asked, Mike Scully was a very good writer and wrote probably the best episode in the show's history* (or at least it's my favorite, and a lot of people place it near the top). As a show runner, though, it seems like those were the years when those involved got bored with the show's structure and let the craziness get out of hand.

I've edited this post twice already because I can't leave well enough alone.

* (Sorry, I'm talking about "Marge Be Not Proud" from season 7, wherein Bart shoplifts a copy of Bonestorm, and which also contains Lee Carvallo's Putting Challenge, THRILLHO, and maybe the best interaction with Comic Book Guy ever. Fourth edit.)
    Last edited by jon; November 17, 2008 at 11:06 AM.

I definitely agree with that. In fact, another thing I liked about last night's episode was the dream sequence where Homer was imagining the babies and furniture attacking him- they rarely do anything that show-offy, animation-wise, on the show anymore.

"Lisa's Substitute" is probably the closest the show ever came to being as emotionally affecting as something with live actors. There's never been an episode that's been more James L. Brooks-y than that episode. After Season 4, they pretty much stopped trying to be that realistic and character-driven on the show.
    Last edited by BillBrasky; November 17, 2008 at 12:32 PM.

i really enjoyed season 6 mostly because it has the episode "and Maggie Makes Three" any one who can watch that episode and not well up when they see the sign that says "do it for her" with all the pictures of maggie is a robot or a monster, or a robotic monster.
    'No, you're wrong Shmee. They're not bad people. They love me. They don't really mean it when they tell me to get kidnapped.'

I agree about "and Maggie Makes Three". Thats my favorite of the touchy feely episodes.

This weeks was excellent. Homer and Lisa together make this show better than most TV.

Quote Originally Posted by jon View Post
    I love 2-8. Everyone overlooks seasons 2 and 3, but they're pretty hilarious and the emotion in them is really genuine (episodes like "Simpson and Delilah," "Dead Putting Society," the three-eyed fish episode, "Itchy & Scratchy & Marge," "Lisa's Substitute," "When Flanders Failed, "Bart the Lover" and "Saturdays of Thunder"). That's also when the directors started exploring the possibilities of what they could do, and there are some gorgeous scenes and backgrounds (I think on the old board I singled out "Simpson and Delilah" specifically at some point).

Because no one asked, Mike Scully was a very good writer and wrote probably the best episode in the show's history (or at least it's my favorite, and a lot of people place it near the top). As a show runner, though, it seems like those were the years when those involved got bored with the show's structure and let the craziness get out of hand.

I've edited this post twice already because I can't leave well enough alone.
    Which episode is that?
    What was the best concert you've been to?

"Probably Sade. It was just so sexy and relaxing."

jon

See above.

Edit: Dammit, now I can't stop thinking about the episode. The part where Marge does the "here comes the sleepy train" thing for Lisa, then goes into Bart's room and says "goodnight Bart" and closes the door, and the look on Bart's face...oh man.

Have I told you all how much I love it when Marge calls Bart her "special little guy?" I fucking love it.

What were we talking about again?
    Last edited by jon; November 17, 2008 at 11:12 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by jon View Post
    See above.

Oh yeah. That was a good one.
    What was the best concert you've been to?

"Probably Sade. It was just so sexy and relaxing."

Last night's episode was the first I've watched all the way through in a long time, and it wasn't bad. Although I really wish the writers would stop with all of the in-jokes. Things were going fine until the whole "Skinner" thing, which took me right out of the story. It's always so jarring when they throw in some stupid wink-wink reference that only long-time fans would get. Happens at least twice an episode these days.

It's really such an amazing show. That's what I've come away from watching all these episodes of it. I enjoy it every single time. I always want to go back.

I went to DVR the Simpsons yesterday and I stopped after reading the episode was about crossword puzzles and starred special crosswords celebrities???

Don't get me wrong I love and still watch the Simpsons but that episode description stopped me dead in my tracks...the bottom of the barrel is nigh, nigh i say!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Scratch Lightning View Post
    Things were going fine until the whole "Skinner" thing, which took me right out of the story. It's always so jarring when they throw in some stupid wink-wink reference that only long-time fans would get. Happens at least twice an episode these days.
    It was a funny joke though. It's a little different than just having Comic Book Guy come in and obnoxiously comment on how the show was repeating itself, which is the kind of stuff they were doing a few seasons ago.

I don't want to detour this thread into a Family Guy hate rant but I'll take the Simpsons at their worst over Family Guy. The show has weakened over the years it's obvious, but there still manages to be some gems in each season. Although I really haven't kept up with the current seasons. But I have been hearing that since the Movie there has been a little bit of an improvement in the eps that followed. Ultimately, the show should stop trying to become off the wall goofy for no reason( a la Family Guy) and go back to the more emotional character driven show that it used to be back in the early seasons(using eps mentioned above as examples). That might be the way to capture the Simpsons magic and then end the series on a relatively high note!

maybe I just wear rose colored glasses but i can't help but get nostalgic when new dvd box sets come out i will read what episodes are featured and all i see is gold. Now maybe it is because you can just not watch the episodes you didn't like.
    i also feel regardless of how good or bad an episode or season is it is ultimately part of the canon of the show, and as such adds to the tapestry of the universe in which they in habit.
    'No, you're wrong Shmee. They're not bad people. They love me. They don't really mean it when they tell me to get kidnapped.'

Quote Originally Posted by BillBrasky View Post
    And that was the real Sunday New York Times crossword puzzle for this week at the end, which is neat.
    Wait, what? Just the deadbeat dad line or all the clues too?

Page 1 of 19 12345611 ... LastLast