Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Portlandia

Re: Portlandia

Me likey this show, but I'd much rather be seeing Carrie Brownstein playing guitar in Sleater Kinney. At least I got to see their last tours in NYC.

I Like the show a lot! I like that I don't have to be okay with things that are not that funny to get to the funny parts. I just straight up think it's funny. I guess cause I feel like it's about me.

I thought the most recent episode was the best one yet. The Aimee Mann plot was great.

I really love this show, too. It's so funny, smart, well-performed, and dead-on in its satire. It actually reminds me a lot of the two years I lived in Madison, WI. Different climates, same kinds of people.

I had no idea until this year that Carrie Brownstein was such a funny actress and sketch writer in addition to being an incredible musician and songwriter.

I couldn't agree more about Sleater-Kinney, Chaza. I only saw them once in concert (back in '01 or so at Bowery Ballroom in NYC), but they were amazing. Corin Tucker's voice was blasting the nicotine stains off the ceiling. I lucked out that their opening act was the White Stripes before they started with the red-and-black color coordinated thing. They were just wearing jeans and t-shirts. They sounded great, though.

Can't wait to hear that interview, Jesse.
    Last edited by BrianStack; February 8, 2011 at 6:31 PM.

1 members found this post helpful.

Shell art is over!
    I agree the third episode was the best yet. Sarah Mclachlan and Aimee Mann were perfect in their roles. There's nothing like really specific, smart and satirical sketch to make me laugh out loud. So well done. Does anyone know how many episodes the season will go for?

Unfortunately, only six. Let's hope for a season two. I love this show.

i thought at the start of the series the sketches suffered from the old SNL problem of going on too long (especially the Colin the Chicken cult thing) but this latest episode really worked well. Aimee Mann going home before coming back for the encore was really nicely done.

I wonder if people in Portland like the show.

Quote Originally Posted by mooderino View Post
    i thought at the start of the series the sketches suffered from the old SNL problem of going on too long (especially the Colin the Chicken cult thing) but this latest episode really worked well. Aimee Mann going home before coming back for the encore was really nicely done.

I wonder if people in Portland like the show.
    Most of us love it and understand satire.

Then there are those that think its terrible that it makes us all look like weirdo idiots. Some also worry about people wanting to move here after seeing how "hip" it is.

I posted some Reddit links earlier in the thread of "discussions" that were happening with Portlanders. Funny and infuriating discussions.

I liked it when they were apologizing to Aimee Mann saying
    "Sorry about the music industry"

l like that when I'm watching an ep of this show it feels like it should almost be over because there's been so much good stuff, and I look at the clock and it's only 9:38 and there's still 22 minutes left. I guess what I'm saying is I love this show.

Quote Originally Posted by douglass View Post
    l like that when I'm watching an ep of this show it feels like it should almost be over because there's been so much good stuff, and I look at the clock and it's only 9:38 and there's still 22 minutes left. I guess what I'm saying is I love this show.
    Yeah! I have the same reaction to every show.

I hope Lorne sees this six episode run as a positive experiment and brings some of its sensibility into SNL. And while I'm an SK/Spells fan I'd be perfectly happy if Fred and Carrie decide to do comedy together for the rest of their lives. Wild Flag isn't everything a 2/3rds of Sleater-Kinney plus Mary Timony supergroup should be.

Also, so are Fred and Carrie a couple or what? I know Fred was dating Abby Elliott some time ago but Carrie recently clarified in the press that she was bi and not gay and Fred says he'd rather hang out with Carrie and make comedy than do anything else and when I see them together I feel giddy and get butterflies in my stomach because there could be no more perfect couple ever.

I loved last night's episode. The reading debate, Kumail Nanjiani at Wireless Toys, and then the mayor's explanation of his reggae style. I laughed out loud more than once. I felt like this episode had a bit more structured writing and more straight-ahead jokes. Anyway, keep it up!

We're having a Portlandia mini marathon. This show is amazing. "Keep your head in the party zone."

I hope this show stays around forever!
    many tine tanies

For whatever reason "eco ways to sit" cracks me up every time I hear it in the Did You Read sketch. This show is so goood.

I like this show better when it's satirizing hipsterdom. I didn't get a lot of laughs out of the out-of-leftfield randomness of the kumail/reggae/house-sitter stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by beccaBeccaBECCA View Post
    For whatever reason "eco ways to sit" cracks me up every time I hear it in the Did You Read sketch. This show is so goood.
    It's not just you.

Oh man that's so funny.

I love this show. There's something about it that reminds me of "Stella," though I can't say why. The main storyline of the fourth episode with the mayor was closest to that, I think.

Patiently waiting for the pot episode and the episode that exposes the juxtaposition between hipster and beyond-the-pale redneck that coexist peacefully.

Fun fact:

Our real mayor plays the mayor's assistant. He is openly gay which I think influenced that Reggae scandal.

Sam Adams:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sam_Ada..._politician%29

This show is too good.

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast