Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789 LastLast

Thread: Non-AST Approved Comedy Thread

Re: Non-AST Approved Comedy Thread

Conan's cameo on HIMYM:

1 members found this post helpful.

This show could still redeem itself if they reveal Conan to be the mother.
    Last edited by AstroChicken; February 21, 2012 at 8:50 PM.

CBS renews "How I Met Your Mother" for multiple years

WTF? It's time to put this thing to bed already. How much longer can they drag it out?

Quote Originally Posted by BillBrasky View Post

WTF? It's time to put this thing to bed already. How much longer can they drag it out?
    I'm more shocked about Big Bang Theory.

I don't think this is another renewal - it just got renewed for two seasons last year (as the article said, previously announced pickup).

What's the shocking part?

Big Bang Theory should be on forever. I would have no problem with that whatsoever.
    many tine tanies

Quote Originally Posted by Travesty. View Post
    I'm more shocked about Big Bang Theory.
    BBT is only in its fifth season, plus I think it's doing really well in syndication on TBS. The premise is open-ended enough that it could conceivably go on for as long as they want.

As this article says , OlderTed is supposedly talking to his kids in HIMYM in the year 2030, and the kids look about 15/16 years old at least. 2030 is 18 years away. So really, the kids will have to have been born within the next 2 or 3 years for the premise of the show to make sense.

Series finale: Ted meets the love of his life, gets drunk and knocks up someone else.

As this article says , OlderTed is supposedly talking to his kids in HIMYM in the year 2030, and the kids look about 15/16 years old at least. 2030 is 18 years away. So really, the kids will have to have been born within the next 2 or 3 years for the premise of the show to make sense.
    Also, we were supposed to have the Eugenics Wars back in the 90s.

Don't know if this is "AST approved" but I didn't want to start a thread about it.

I just saw Loiter Squad and man, it really makes me appreciate the Tim&Eric aesthetic. This show tries to ape their style, but it's really amateurish. Some of the stunts are OK but the sketches are terrible. And they always break!

How I Met Your Mother has been renewed for a ninth season

According to this article, Jason Segel wanted to concentrate full-time on his movie career and the show was very close to getting canceled before he changed his mind. I've kind of stopped watching this show but I was planning on starting up again if they were going to be building up to revealing the mother at the end of this season. Now that I know there's going to be another season, I don't know if I have any interest in starting to watch it again.

I thought this was official before, but the ninth season will be the final season for this show. This season should end with Robin and Barney's wedding, and then the identity of the mother will be revealed in the season premiere next season.

With this show coming to a close, I was wondering what was the longest-running live action network sitcom currently on the air. It's 2 1/2 Men, which is in its 10th season right now, and which hopefully will not be renewed for an 11th. The Office is in its 9th and final season, and HIMYM is in its 8th. After that, incredibly, is "Rules of Engagement" which is scheduled to start a 7th season on February 4th. It's really hard to believe that show's been on the air that long.

The Big Bang Theory is next, it's in its 6th season currently, and then Parks & Rec which is in its 5th season. Then Modern Family, The Middle, and Community all of which are in their 4th season. Every other sitcom is on its 3rd season or less.
    Last edited by BillBrasky; January 30, 2013 at 1:49 PM.

HIMYM has been pretty bad the last couple of seasons, but this week's episode was really good. It was funny and in the vein of the way the show was in its first few seasons. It was an "Underneath the Tunes" special (the MuchMusic version of VH1's "Behind the Music") showing how Robin Sparkles became "Robin Daggers" (a parody of Alanis Morisette). The whole episode was crammed full of Canadian cameos (Paul Schaffer, Dave Thomas, Geddy Lee, Dave Coulier, Alan Thicke, etc.) and a funny '90s music video parody for Robin's song "P.S. I Love You" (featuring 'that classic cliche of every '90s music video- a shirtless old man in black and white for no reason'). Even the robot from "Let's Go To the Mall" made a reappearance.

It was nice to see an episode that had so many call-backs to things the fans would appreciate. There was also just a lot of great stuff like Dave Coulier doing the "Cut- it - out!" thing from Out of Control- my eight year old brain exploded when I saw that. I have the feeling they probably shot this episode intending it to be one of the last episodes of the season before they knew they were going to be picked up for a 9th season.

This episode also set up Abby Elliott's "crazy stalker" character, who is also going to appear in the next episode.
    Last edited by BillBrasky; February 13, 2013 at 8:58 AM.

I don't watch regularly but I caught the episode a few weeks back where Lily confided to Ted her mixed feelings about parenthood, and I was blown away by Alyson Hannigan's performance in that scene. It was incredibly real. Great job!

I feel kind of stupid for saying this about a show like HIMYM, but the "Underneath the Tunes" sequence was one of the most impressive things I've ever seen in a network sitcom -- so many great jokes and references and cameos packed into a couple of minutes. You saw where it was going and knew what to expect, but it was just relentlessly great on every level. So wonderfully executed, and a great way to build on the Robin Sparkles mythos. The quick cuts of every Canadian celebrity remembering where they were and what Tim Horton's donut they were eating when they heard the news about Robin was so funny.

Just a reminder that Casey Wilson (and Keegan-Michael Key) are going to be in the season finale of HIMYM tonight.

Can this thread just be retitled How I Met Your Mother?
    My (Neglected) Tumblr | Here
    My (Neglected) Twitter | Here

Not by me, but maybe a mod can do it.

I'm just kidding, that just seems like the only thing ever talked about here.

Edit: Just looked at the first page and realized that is pretty explicitly what this thread is about and I'm an idiot.
    My (Neglected) Tumblr | Here
    My (Neglected) Twitter | Here

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789 LastLast