Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast

Thread: Non-AST Approved Comedy Thread

Re: Non-AST Approved Comedy Thread

Quote Originally Posted by benjo990 View Post
    Okay so turns out this is a How I met your Mother thread, but my comment still stands. Why the fuck was the name chaged, what is "non ast-approved" bout the show?
    I think the thread title is just a joke. From what I recall, "AST-approved" started when I used that phrase in a news story about a bunch of TV shows we like that were coming out on DVD (The Office, Parks & Rec, Demetri Martin). For some reason, the phrase seemed to tickle everybody, and it became a running joke for a while around here.

Also, there was a conversation on here once about "How I Met Your Mother" coming out on DVD, and isoS said "This is the very definition of 'Who is this for'?", or something along those lines. (And he's an admitted fan of the show!) Enough people here seem to like the show that conversations about it have sprung up from time to time, but it doesn't seem like the kind of show hip alternative comedy fans would normally be into. Thus, "non- AST approved".

But whatever, I think one thing I've learned over the past year is that everybody here doesn't march in lockstep in their support of the same type of comedy, and everyone has their own opinion on things.

I know this is definitely not AST approved, but the occasional Still Standing rerun makes me laugh. Mark Addy's Chicago accent is eerily good! Also a lot of comedy people have shown up on that show, Kevin Nealon, David Koechner, Chris Elliot, etc.
    Follow me on Twitter... it counts as a charitable contribution!
    http://twitter.com/thedailyprateek

Quote Originally Posted by BillBrasky View Post
    but it doesn't seem like the kind of show hip alternative comedy fans would normally be into. Thus, "non- AST approved".
    Again, I don't think that's true. Like even though your term's a bit elitist I get you, something like 'Grounded for Life' is a sitcom that wouldn't be "ast approved" but I find it pretty funny. But just cos HIMYM is a sitcom it's not the kind of thing comedy fans would be in to? Again, anybody who has seen it should know different. I mean if you readily accept the office as 'comedy-fan worthy' (especially the shark-jumping season 5) then you need to accept this show.

Quote Originally Posted by benjo990 View Post
    Again, I don't think that's true. Like even though your term's a bit elitist I get you, something like 'Grounded for Life' is a sitcom that wouldn't be "ast approved" but I find it pretty funny. But just cos HIMYM is a sitcom it's not the kind of thing comedy fans would be in to? Again, anybody who has seen it should know different. I mean if you readily accept the office as 'comedy-fan worthy' (especially the shark-jumping season 5) then you need to accept this show.
    Oh, I like HIMYM generally (probably more so than "The Office" over the last few seasons).
    But there are people here who don't like "Modern Family", which is IMO a much better written and acted show than HIMYM, so again, it's difficult to get a consensus here sometimes on what's "OK" to like.

ASR

Who cares what anyone likes? Just like it. I spent way too much time in my youth trying to like what I thought I was SUPPOSED to like, then I finally realized how retarded that sounds.

EDIT: I just realized how retarded it sounds for me to use the phrase "in my youth" when I'm still only 20.
    Last edited by ASR; February 22, 2011 at 3:08 PM.

Banned

I was hoping no one would ever explain this...but I intended it to become a not worth it's own thread, but specifically with shows that people might want to talk about intermittently, but would not be able to sustain a thread of its own. The title is tongue in cheek, as this is a comedy forum.

I babysit KIND OF A LOT and this kid I sit for is obsessed with The Fairly Odd Parents. He isn't allowed to watch much tv, so that's almost all he ever watches - and I've incidentally seen scores and scores of episodes of that show.

But here's the thing. IT'S REALLY REALLY FUNNY! I found myself scrolling through channels earlier today - at home alone with no kids to babysit - and choosing to watch that show over tons of other more age-appropriate programming.

The jokes are funny, the characters are well defined. For a kids' show, I'd say it's pretty sharp.

So I imdb-ed the writers to check out their past credits - and no wonder it's so hilarious. Dave Thomas has written a number of episodes and other writers' past credits include The George Carlin Show, The Tonight Show with Johnny Carson, MadTV (say what you will!), In Living Color, SCTV, and tons more surprising shows.

Has anyone else seen this show?

ASR

Yeah, Fairly Oddparents is actually really funny. I was still a kid when it started airing so obviously I was the target audience and watched it all the time, but I'll catch episodes of nowadays from time to time and I realized it's actually great.

Phineas and Ferb is a more recent kids show I've found to be above the norm comedy-wise, but I think that's been discussed on here already.

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by ASR View Post
    Phineas and Ferb is a more recent kids show I've found to be above the norm comedy-wise, but I think that's been discussed on here already.
    Damn, you beat me to it! Anyway, yeah Becca, "FOP" is pretty good, but ASR is absolutely right about "Phineas and Ferb." I was just recently introduced to it by a friend who just so happened to discover it while babysitting as well.

I hate Fairly Oddparents. Thankfully, I haven't seen it for a long time, but from what I recall, the "adult" jokes are Dreamworks style, where they have no meaning to the kids and are written specifically as a nod to parents. I always pictured the writers smugly congratulating themselves for slipping in some stupid pop-culture reference from their own childhood. Plus, at least 50 percent of the dialogue on Fairly Oddparents is someone screaming instead of talking.

Spongebob is great.

There's a Fairly Oddparents roller coaster at the Mall of America that looks pretty rad. And screaming is a form of talking. I would like to have an argument about this. I have never seen the show.

I got angry at How I Met Your Mother this week. I watch the show and I know its not great just good. I also know they want it to sustain and stay what it is, but I am getting so annoyed at how many times they dangle life changes in front of the characters and then not ever go through with it. This is like the 5th 'Is Barney gonna fall in love with this girl?' arch and how many 'is Ted's girl the mother?' switcheroos have they done and bait and switches with Lily and Marshall having children. It annoys me that a show that has this many good elements is just deciding to be nothing but filler until Jason Segels contract is up. They could mine Lily/Marshall's parenthood for jokes (I mean they wouldn't be able to sit at McLarens all the time, but you know).

They just got two more years yesterday, btw, in case you didn't see.

http://www.deadline.com/2011/03/cbs-...-more-seasons/

2 more seasons seems a little too long to me. This show has had a pretty remarkable comeback this season after I was certain the shark was jumped last season. It would be really difficult to keep this quality up for another 42 episodes.

I am starting to agree that HIMYM is going on a little too long. When the show first started, it was great- the first couple of seasons were excellent, and you really cared about the characters and finding out who the mother was. All the episodes like "The Slutty Pumpkin", it seemed like the writers had a whole plan mapped out for how they were going to reveal the mother, and I don't think they expected the show to go on for as long as it has.

It's ridiculous that the Bob Saget older-Ted character is now telling a six (soon to be eight) season long story to his kids of how he met their mother. And there have been so many detours and false starts and stuff that has nothing to do with the mother that it doesn't make sense that this is still part of a story that he's telling to the kids. The kids would have gotten up and left at this point.

In the '90s, shows like "Seinfeld", "Friends", and "Frasier" managed to stay on the air a really long time because the premise of the show was open-ended enough that there were a lot of places you could go. This show maybe should have been a five season show at the most and wrapped things up by this point.

BillBrasky > The Writer's Strike REALLY did a number on the show and clearly threw it off balance: The beginning of Season 3 was pretty awesome, but when the show returned, something was out-of-whack and it never fully recovered since. There are still some solid fillers/stand-alone episode, but the show as whole doesn't work anymore: they tried desperately to fit Robin in the group, unsuccessful for the most part, which ultimately brought up the whole
    Spoiler:  
    Add to that, the countless and unnecessary cameos to boost the show's profile and the recent attempt to basically
    Spoiler:  

It's a waste, really.

I was reading all the talk about "kids shows" and... what about Adventure Time? I don't think I've heard anyone mention this series around here but man is it funny and beautiful and rad. One of my favorite programs on TV right now.

And I might as well give a shout-out to Batman: The Brave and the Bold, another fun show that was secretly made for adult geeks but don't tell anyone.

Though there hasn't been much going on in there lately, check out the General Cartoon Thread for some Adventure Time love.

Banned

I'll say this, I can still watch How I Met Your Mother. I can't say the same about Chuck. Also, is all of America waiting with baited breath about who the mother is? I seriously don't give a fuck. The person who they will have is obviously going to be a completely new character that no one cares about, just like I've never cared about any of the supposed mothers, except maybe Robin, a regular character. Segel's character is boring now too.

Quote Originally Posted by BillBrasky View Post
    This show maybe should have been a five season show at the most and wrapped things up by this point.
    This show has had a weird ride up until this point, though. Through the first few seasons, the ratings were relatively tepid, it got moved around the Monday schedule, and every renewal came down to the wire. Then, its ratings started doing all right, and ratings across the board on all networks have gone down a bit, and so suddenly the show is an actual "hit". It was just renewed for TWO more seasons, way before the May upfronts.

If a show is making the network (CBS) and production company (20th Century Fox) money, they'll keep it on the air as long as they can. If that means taking a while longer to get to the titular mother, so be it, but I don't think the show was ever really about the mother anyway. That was just a conceit to get the story rolling on telling the stories of these 5 friends, and also account for the flashback storytelling device.

I still find almost every episode quite entertaining, and at times even great (like the more stoic Marshall-centric episodes earlier this season), and am glad a show with at least some intelligence (and a great cast) is able to get decent ratings and stay on TV alongside all the crap that usually dominates the Top 20.

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast