Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Movie 43

Movie 43

To recap, this is a "Kentucky Fried Movie"-style sketch comedy film produced by Peter Farrelly and directed by several directors. There are (according to latest commercials) 15 segments within the movie. There are 12 directors credited on the film and Peter Farrelly directed two segments. Here are the segments we know about:

1) "The Catch"- Directed by Peter Farrelly. Stars Kate Winslet and Hugh Jackman as a couple going out on their first date. Jackman's character has
    Spoiler:  

2) "Robin's Big Speed Date"- Directed by James Duffy. A superhero parody. Stars Jason Sudeikis as Batman, Justin Long as Robin, Bobby Cannavale as Superman, Kristen Bell as Supergirl, Leslie Bibb as Wonder Woman, Uma Thurman as Lois Lane, John Hodgman as the Penguin.
    3) "Homeschooled"- A couple homeschools their son. Stars Naomi Watts and Liev Schrieber. Directed by Will Graham (Director on "The Onion News Network")
    4) "IBabe"- A company produces an iPod like product called iBabe. Starring Kate Bosworth, Richard Gere, Jack McBrayer, and Aasif Mandvi. Directed by Steven Brill ("Little Nicky", "Mr. Deeds").
    5) A segment about a foulmouthed leprechaun (Gerard Butler) and two guys who try to kidnap him for his gold (Johnny Knoxville and Seann William Scott). Directed by Brett Ratner.
    6) A segment featuring Emma Stone and Keiran Culkin, directed by Griffin Dunne. Keiran is a grocery store employee who woos Emma with "an adult version of a love letter".
    7) A segment starring Chloe Moretz and Christopher Mintz-Plasse, directed by Elizabeth Banks. Premise: A young girl gets her first period.
    Costars Matt Walsh, Patrick Warburton.
    8) A segment directed by James Gunn, starring Elizabeth Banks and Josh Duhamel. Includes 2D animation. About a woman, her boyfriend, and his cat.
    9) A segment directed by Steve Carr ("Paul Blart: Mall Cop")- NOTE: Probably the Anna Faris/Chris Pratt one, just a guess
    10) A segment directed by Rusty Cundieff ("Chapelle's Show", "Chocolate News")- Most likely the Terrence Howard basketball coach one as seen in the trailer
    11) "Truth or Dare"- A second segment directed by Peter Farrelly. Stars Halle Berry, Stephen Merchant, and Ken Jeong.

Jonathan Van Tulleken and Patrick Forsberg are credited in the final trailers for the film, so I guess there are additional segments not shown in the trailers.

At one point, Bob Odenkirk was announced as being one of the directors on one of the segments, and indeed is still listed on IMDB, but the final credit list as seen in the trailer does not include his name.
    Last edited by BillBrasky; January 21, 2013 at 12:03 PM.

1 members found this post helpful.

Re: Movie 43

"Robin's Big Speed Date" started out as a short film, with Sam Rockwell as Batman. Here it is:

The Farrelly Brothers have been doing press lately for "Hall Pass", and Peter Farrelly revealed some information about the premise for this movie.

"Movie 43 is the brain child of Charlie Wessler, who produces lots of our movies. Basically, he wanted to do a Kentucky Fried Movie type of movie with a bunch of shorts, but we didnít want to do one that was just one short after another with no connection. So, what Movie 43 is, is that kind of movie with a wrap-around and the wrap-around is two 15-year-old stoners and their 11-year-old egghead brother/computer whiz, who are trying to find the elusive Movie 43. Itís the most banned movie in the world. It was banned in all countries because itís so subversive. They have heard about it and they are trying to find it on the Internet. They keep breaking into other banned sites and movie archives, and finding these other shorts. After every two or three movies, you come back to these kids who are still looking, but someone is trying to stop them from finding Movie 43 and that starts turning. So, there is a plot within the shorts. We have something happening in the wrap-around.Ē

Someone saw an early cut of this and posted on IMDB about it. Some of this information verges on spoilers, so only read if you really want jokes spoiled for you.

Spoiler:  

Spoiler:  

Spoiler:  

Spoiler:  

The IMDB poster also said that the wraparound story has been cut down since early screenings of the movie, to concentrate more on the shorts. He said the wraparound was the weakest part of the movie.
    Last edited by BillBrasky; March 2, 2011 at 8:44 AM.

At least one of those sounds like SuperBowl commercial-level comedy.

2 members found this post helpful.

The basketball one sounds like it might be funny in a lowbrow, old-school "National Lampoon" kind of way, and the one with Naomi Watts and Liev Schreiber actually sounds very funny. (I think the director on that one, Will Graham, works on "The Onion News Network", and it does seem like an Onion-esque idea).

The Elizabeth Banks one sounds "Scary Movie 2" level bad, however. A couple of the other ones have very dumb premises as well (Brett Ratner's and Pete Farrelly's especially). And "a girl gets her first period" as the premise of a comedy sketch...ugh. I'm guessing this movie is going to be a mixed bag, like most sketch movies.

I wonder what Bob's short is going to be like, haven't seen any information on that one.

Why couldn't Bob, David and Brian get their sketch movie made a thousand years ago?!? And why not now? And why... why...

...why aren't Bob and David doing serious shit together with their connections, recsources, and unbelievable talent these days? Or even the past five years?

(I know I know the HBO show, where's their film?)

They are STILL doing test screenings for this movie, now under the title "Red Band". This is somewhat ridiculous; apparently they are having a really hard time finalizing the cut of this movie and trying to decide whether it should be a sketch movie or have a wraparound story. I'm guessing this is probably going to be pushed back- no trailer and it supposedly comes out 2 months from now.

Sure enough, this has disappeared completely off of the comingsoon.net list of upcoming releases. Not even rescheduled to another date, it's like it doesn't exist anymore. I bet this is going to be a straight to DVD.

That sucks. That was also a very long time between posts in this thread. Any more info on those other sketches?

James Gunn said it's coming out this summer on his Formspring.

New release date- January 25, 2013?

I found a trailer for this online. It appears to be an older trailer, because it still has the "Movie 43" title, even though the title is "Red Band" now. Anyway, here's the trailer. It looks pretty funny! I think so, anyway.

After all of the delays, endless test screenings and lack of faith from the studio, it really seemed like this was a complete failure they were trying to bury but that trailer not only makes this look pretty great, it also makes it seem like the easiest movie in the world to sell. If people will go in droves to see star-studded garbage like Valentine's Day and New Year's Eve then they'll easily pay to see a movie with a cast this big and great which actually looks genuinely funny. This should be coming out in August or September, not January.
    Last edited by Gluehead; April 29, 2012 at 9:34 PM.

Did I just accidentally go to a russian brides website? There goes my future presidency... thanks, idiots.

Quote Originally Posted by Gluehead View Post
    After all of the delays, endless test screenings and lack of faith from the studio, it really seemed like this was a complete failure they were trying to bury but that trailer not only makes this look pretty great, it also makes it seem like the easiest movie in the world to sell. If people will go in droves to see star-studded garbage like Valentine's Day and New Year's Eve then they'll easily pay to see a movie with a cast this big and great which actually looks genuinely funny. This should be coming out in August or September, not January.
    You're right, they have made us wait so long for this that it should be coming out this summer, in August like you said. Making us wait all the way until January for it is ridiculous.
    I also like "Movie 43" as a title better than "Red Band"; not sure what "Red Band" has to do with the premise of this movie, other than R-rated movies have red-band trailers.

But this looks a lot better than I thought it would, even the sketches I thought sounded like they had dumb premises (the leprechaun one, the period one) look pretty funny in the trailer ("Use your superior height!") I guess I just like anything better when it's set to "Comeback Kid" by the Sleigh Bells....

Since we have had "Scary Movie", "Date Movie", "Epic Movie", "Disaster Movie", etc. etc, they should have gone meta with this and called it "Movie Movie". They probably didn't want people thinking it was from those Epic Movie/Disaster Movie douches though. I think with the proper promotion this could be the "Amazon Women on the Moon" for this era; since I've always liked that movie a lot I'm really looking forward to this.

Trailer looks funny!

But just so we're clear on this: You like that song?

Re: Red Band (formerly Movie 43)

That old link to the trailer for this is now gone, so here's a new version someone put on Youtube:

Re: Red Band (formerly Movie 43)

The "world premiere" of the new trailer for this is supposed to premiere during "Tosh.O" on Tuesday night on Comedy Central.
    Also, it's back to being called "Movie 43" again!

Last edited by BillBrasky; October 1, 2012 at 3:40 PM.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast