Thread: The JV Club - Episode 14 with BURNING LOVE's Deanna Russo

The JV Club - Episode 14 with BURNING LOVE's Deanna Russo

Janet Varney, who I'm going to assume is an AST favorite, has her own podcast on the Nerdist network called The JV Club. I'll let the show introduce itself:

Remember what it was like to be an awkward teenager? And remember how some things haven't really changed that much for you since then? Join proud dork Janet Varney as she explores the highs and lows of the bygone years with some of her favorite women as they talk their way through the terrible teens into adult-lescence.
    Warning: This Podcast Contains Sincerity.
    It's listed in iTunes under comedy, and it's definitely and often funny, but I'm not sure I'd call it a comedy podcast. It's kind of like The Minivan Men or Comedy Film Nerds in that they're funny - they can't help but be funny - but they're not about being funny, if you know what I mean. I don't know how I'd categorize it other than "great." The ladies have all been very interesting, and I find JV to be compellingly funny. She's a good host (as you'll know if you heard her fill in for Jesse on TSOYA) and is getting better as she does more episodes.

Despite being a boy, I'll often find myself relating to a problem, phase, feeling, or experience JV and her guest are discussing. When Anne of Green Gables comes up, I'm lost, but it's still charming to hear, say, a June Diane Raphael talk with Janet about a book that meant so much to them as kids. I can't even imagine how awesome the podcast would be if you're in the target demo.

Give it a try! The first episode with Christina Hendricks is as good a place as any to start, although Kerri Kenney-Silver's experience and insight as a mother makes that episode a particularly fascinating listen. The newest episode with Jessica St. Clair is great, too. I've loved them all.
    Last edited by indigi; June 7, 2012 at 4:05 PM.

Re: The JV Club - Janet Varney's podcast

I really enjoy the show and I love the way Janet says "Bless"
    -Henrik

1 members found this post helpful.

I love this show and Janet. I also love that guys like it, too! I think the Laraine Newman ep has been my favorite.

I listened to the Natasha Leggero episode (thanks to a recommendation on Splitsider) and totally loved it.

I'm not sure if I could choose a favorite episode, but my favorite moment probably came in the Maggie Lawson episode where she talks about getting Alanis Morissette's Jagged Little Pill and said "nobody understands me like she does!" cause, for whatever reason, I felt the same was as a 7th grade boy and it really tickled me.

The latest episode was fantastic as well, I love Jessica St. Claire and her tales about sneaking out at night. How's your dead tooth?

2 members found this post helpful.

I'm also a guy who loves this podcast. I love Janet, and I think she's doing a really great job with her guests. I see this as a much better version of Making It, which is also on Nerdist. I think Riki is great, but I feel like the conversation is so much more natural in this podcast.

Re: The JV Club - Episode 9 with Angela Kinsey

Hey man, it's Thursday. A new episode is upon us (!) fortunately featuring funny female Angela Kinsey from felevision. http://www.nerdist.com/podcast/the-jv-club/

Yay.

Just listened to my first episode (w/ Jessica St. Clair) and loved it! Seems like they got plenty of dude fans here, anyway.

Son. The one and only Jen Kirkman is on this week. I actually woke up early today so I could listen before I drive to work. It's a largely user-generated show with questions asked via tweeter home stereo systems. I don't feel like I have to sell this at all, if you ain't listen you're a damned fool.

Re: The JV Club - Episode 11 with Connie Chung. Yeah, that one!

This one's a guest you've probably not heard on a podcast, yet. Fascinating conversation and Connie gets into it like a champ.

Re: The JV Club - Episode 11 with Connie Chung. Yeah, that one!

Smh at my own self. I've been away on vacation for a couple weeks (MaxFunCon woooooooo) and so I am behind on the podcast. I am not even up to date and feel like a failure of a thread... uh, starter? Whatever. Anyway, what should I be looking forward to? I got any two-watch type bombs coming up?