Page 1 of 20 12345611 ... LastLast

Thread: Girls

Girls

"Girls" is an upcoming comedy series on HBO. The series was created by Lena Dunham, who also stars alongside Jemima Kirke, Allison Williams, Adam Driver and Zosia Mamet. It follows the lives of a small group of friends in their 20's trying to chart their lives in New York City.

Dunham was given the opportunity to create the series after the success of her film 'Tiny Furniture", which shares a similar premise with "Girls". Judd Apatow and Jenni Konner serve as executive producers alongside Dunham.

The series will premiere on April 15th, 2012.

1 members found this post helpful.

Re: Girls

This has been getting very good reviews. From what I have seen of Lena Dunham, she has a Greta Gerwig quality in that her twee-ness could go all the way from being charming and appealing to becoming irritating, if presented in too big of a dose. Has anyone seen her movie "Tiny Furniture"? Thoughts/expectations for this series? Judd Apatow being involved on the writing end gives me a lot of confidence; his work in TV has been pretty unparalleled with "Freaks and Geeks" and "Undeclared". If anyone can balance comedic/dramatic moments in a show like this, it's him.

I did not like Tiny Furniture. It was rich people being horrible to each other. It was played like it was supposed to be funny, but I didn't find it funny at all. It felt like if The Squid and the Whale was drained of its humor. I don't trust the reviews since they were all very positive about Tiny Furniture as well. I read one comparing Lena Dunham to Louie CK, which seemed nuts to me.
    However, I think the show could be good. Despite not liking the movie, it was clear that Lena Dunham was talented, the movie felt unique and grounded in reality. Part of the problem with Tiny Furniture was a navel-gazing quality that I think won't be possible with 12 hours rather than 1.5. They'll develop other characters and we'll see other views of the world (though the fact that the cast is pretty much the same makes me think it might be just a serialized version of the movie). Also I hope that Judd Apatow can help her give the characters a little more heart.
    It'll be interesting, definitely. Its being marketed like its the next Sex & the City, when Tiny Furniture couldn't be further from that.
    Last edited by ericluxury; April 10, 2012 at 3:31 PM.

I tried to watch 'Tiny Furniture' on Netflix but kept having rebuffering issues. What I saw was okay. 20-ish New York City girl birthed by a family of New York intelligensia artists with a youngish outspoken mother and a story filled with white-bohemian-privileged-girl problems is what I gleened from it. It's not to say I didn't like it. It's just a little tiresome because I'm an old who didn't have parents with a funky NYC lifestyle. I do like Lena. But I've heard her referred to as the next Tina Fey - and as ericluxury said above re Louie CK reference - I really don't see that at all. In fact, as an old, I'd never heard of her until I went to "Mapping the Heavens with Rob Delaney and Dave Holmes" at UCB several months back. I felt like I missed something because it appeared as if she was already well regarded (Tiny Furniture, I guess) and I was clueless as to who she was. However, going by what I've seen in previews of 'Girls' and scenes in between rebuffers online, I don't think you can compare her to anyone. She's unique (and I mean that in a good way - not a back handed compliment way). I'm looking forward to 'Girls'. She talked about it that night at UCB.
    Last edited by Trikywu; April 11, 2012 at 3:21 PM.

I don't think they are necessarily comparing Lena Dunham to Louis CK, they are just comparing Girls to Louie. Their shows, not themselves. Seeing as Dunham is starring, wrote/co-wrote every episode, and directed the majority of the episodes (and that it's set in NY), you can see why people would compare the two shows. But beyond that, I don't think you can make any comparison between Dunham and CK.
    Last edited by Gern Blanston; April 11, 2012 at 4:06 PM.

I really enjoyed Tiny Furniture. A lot of the people were horrible, Lena's character included at times, but they were all played that way. It was almost difficult to watch in its awkwardness a few times but it always kept me chuckling a bit. A really good character piece. We were never supposed to ignore their faults. But like Eric said, regardless of your thoughts on the movie it was pretty easy to tell while watching it that Dunham is talented. This is one of my most anticipated new shows.

I guess I'll continue to watch this show, but it's going to be an uphill battle for me to like Dunham's character after the opening scene where she basically whined to her parents about "Why aren't you going to continue to support me financially, when I'm well into my twenties and basically an adult?"
    Was her arguing "Hey, I could be a drug addict, things could be a lot worse!" supposed to endear her to us in any way? I actually live with my parents still, but there's never been a period in my life post-college where I wasn't actively working for a living and paying for all my expenses. I don't think my parents would have been too cool with me asking for money so I could quit working and "write my memoirs" or whatever either- seriously, get a job. Now I see why some people were referring to this as the "Entitled Lena Dunham Project".

I know that "I think I'm the voice of my generation- or at least, a voice. Of a generation" is partly a joke, but Dunham's character doesn't seem particularly talented or interesting that anyone would be even interested in reading a book written by her. How many "life lessons" could she have learned at 24?
    Obviously, the main character in a TV show doesn't always have to be completely likeable (i.e. Kenny Powers), but I shouldn't actively DISlike them.

I fully realize the above post makes me sound like a cranky old guy yelling at kids to get off his lawn.

A_S

Quote Originally Posted by BillBrasky View Post
    I fully realize the above post makes me sound like a cranky old guy yelling at kids to get off his parent's lawn.
    Fixed.

13 members found this post helpful.

Lena Dunham was on Craig Ferguson to promote the show and said she hates Geoff Peterson. I'm too big a Ferguson nerd to let this stand. Worst/nerdiest reason to boycott a show ever?

Quote Originally Posted by BillBrasky View Post
    I guess I'll continue to watch this show, but it's going to be an uphill battle for me to like Dunham's character after the opening scene where she basically whined to her parents about "Why aren't you going to continue to support me financially, when I'm well into my twenties and basically an adult?"
    I don't think you're necessarily supposed to root for her petulance, just recognize that life is finally kicking her in the ass a little. Almost all of Dunham's work is about post-grad artists who overvalue their worth to society and believe they are entitled to the lifestyle they have always dreamed of. You're not supposed to want to read her character's book, it's just that her character thinks she has important things to say.

2 members found this post helpful.

Here is something you'll love if you're inclined to hate this show: http://gawker.com/5902308/
    Hot tub foot?

2 members found this post helpful.

Best critique of Girls ever:

"Not the victory but the action. Not the goal but the game. In the deed the glory."

5 members found this post helpful.

I admit that this show is probably not aimed at me. Scenes like the sex scene in this episode probably will resonate with you if you are a 20-year-old woman who has recently graduated college and that's what your life is like. I'm not, so I kind of find it more uncomfortable to watch than anything else. And, similar to my above post, I always want to kind of yell at women in these kind of shows and movies and tell them to just leave their stupid boyfriends if they're being that horrible to them.

I didn't like the show at all really. I went in expecting comedy (probably my first mistake) and didn't really get any. The characters also just came off as unlikable and uninteresting to me. You can't compare this to Louie.

Ugggggggggggggggggggggh.

My friend, a twenty something lady, said "They have to have at least one character I kinda of like right?" The show feels like in unaware Eastbound and Down.

Nothing about this show made sense until after I found out about the background of most of the actors/creator. It's like every Jason Reitman project about Midwest people or Barton Finks play.

"Not the victory but the action. Not the goal but the game. In the deed the glory."

It reminded me of Whit Stillman's movies too, which I've never really cared for either
    (The inclusion of Chris Eigeman in the cast didn't help matters in this regard).

/
    Last edited by Merdie; April 26, 2012 at 11:32 AM. Reason: clearly out of my mind

I see this show as a fully self-aware critique of one's generation. Baby boomers taught their kids that they can be anything or anyone they want. (I don't know about you guys, but they used to hand out participation awards on every youth sports team I was on! You shouldn't get rewarded simply for showing up! Am I right, folks?) Consequently, once out of college, these kids only want to go for their dreams(i.e. idealistic artistic aspirations) and not settle for anything less, when of course, they are far too immature, inexperienced, and untalented to achieve said dreams. Entitled, whiny, and about to get bitch slapped by life, this show is here to expose this, not celebrate it.

So if you find yourself not liking the characters, there's a good chance that's on purpose. I'm interested to see where this show goes. There was a lot of clever writing and realistically awkward situations, and I'm hoping that the character arcs will prove to pay off in the end. Plus, isn't it refreshing to see some normal looking people for once?

10 members found this post helpful.

Page 1 of 20 12345611 ... LastLast