Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Don't Trust the B---- in Apartment 23

Re: Don't Trust the B---- in Apartment 23

Last edited by pollymaepry; March 28, 2012 at 12:42 PM. Reason: oops nevermind

Quote Originally Posted by RegularKarate View Post
    Weird. Has anyone else watched this? I checked it out based on a recommendation and it's not bad. It's nothing amazing, but it was pretty funny and it's got a very likeable cast. I think if it's given a chance to find its footing, it'll be a pretty good series.
    I watched it on hulu.... and I agree with your "it's not bad" opinion. lol. Parts of it were appealing, but they sure were doing a lot of heavy lifting for a half-hour show. eh. That's how pilots go, right? They're attempting to establish a new world using various devices that seem / don't seem to work.

I thought the Big C was about a mean lady. If Disney's cool with casual misogyny then so am I!

Not one of these comments mentions Mookie or Eric. Weird.

I'll be watching this for Mookie and Eric. Also, the pilot wasn't bad.
    Eyes are the losers in the skies.

It gets worse when you realize that the titular "B----" is YOUR MOM.

Don't Trust Your Mom in Apartment 23.

I'd tune in to find out why I shouldn't. It sounds like Lost in an apartment complex.

Also: Drew Droege. Is he just in the promo, or is he also in the show?

I thought the pilot was pretty good. But it's also really dirty for prime time on ABC. I feel like there should be some kind of a "buffer" show between Modern Family and this show. Modern Family is for the most part a family show, and in this show there's a masturbation joke and Krysten Ritter nude (blurred out) in the first 10 minutes. If there were ever a reason to create a 10-11 PM primetime block, it would be Happy Endings and this show.

Hopefully this will lead to a Neil Patrick Harris-style career resurgance for James Van Der Beek, he's pretty funny in this. Cute "Dawson's Creek" and "Varsity Blues" references in the pilot too. (Hopefully he'll say "I don't want...your life!' at some point.)
    Last edited by BillBrasky; May 4, 2012 at 10:46 AM.

1 members found this post helpful.

I watched the first half. I thought it was really, really (not for me).

And why do all of ABC's single-camera comedies look so cheap? Compare them to any of NBC's, for instance, or even many basic cable comedies that are surely shot on a lower budget. There's obviously nothing wrong with a show looking cheap, but to me it seems like on ABC it's especially noticeable.
    Last edited by Aaron1933; March 31, 2012 at 3:36 PM.

I think the show gets better over time. Krysten Ritter is funny and hot. It has quality comics in supporting roles. Eric Andre is hilarious and I'm happy to see him on the tv screen!! And as a woman, I was not offended by the word Bitch. I've accepted the fact that I'm a bitch for many years. The women who take offense to it might be in denial??
    I'm a comedy nerd with boobs. Not man boobs. Real live woman boobies!

Tweet me! & Tumblr me!

don't trust the bitch

1 members found this post helpful.

Oh man I can't wait for "Watch your wallet around the N----- in Apartment 24"!!

7 members found this post helpful.

This show reminds me of Don't Trust the B___ in Cell Block 23, a fun show about prison rape.

I don't live this show like other things on my DVR, but it's enjoyable.

I didn't mind the pilot but I've gotten more and more bored with it. The main character is pretty insufferable so I just spend the entire time waiting for Kristen Ritter to say mildly amusing things.

I realize that women don't have a sense of humor, so I can understand why using a word like "B___" would make a woman angry. Just remember that "Dick" was in a show title since the 60's, or have you forgotten "Dick Van Dyke"? It's even got "dyke" in there, and there are no underscores.

Okay, that was glib.

Frankly, I think the show is enjoyable. Not amazing, but I'm definitely giving it a chance, and yes, it helps that there are two very attractive women in it.

For the record, though, as far as the title goes, this swear words trend is new. That means that women are at the beginning of a new trend!

Okay, that was glib again.

But really, what other title could there be? "The Female Con Artist in Apt 23"? "Don't Trust the Attractive Lady in Apt 23"? I think the title is good, because it accurately describes the show. If you're offended by blurred out nudity, you'll also probably be offended by "B____". I'm not sure whether the reverse holds true.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to Fox's new show "F*#k All Of You". It a show about a network whose news organization is super conservative, but it's entertainment programming is super titillating and violent. Oh, and then there's CBS' "Men Are Useless D*%ks". It's all about how men are stupid, but women always know better. I don't think that one will do very well, though. It's been overdone for years.

Quote Originally Posted by EliotHochberg View Post
    it helps that there are two very attractive women in it.
    As opposed to what, EVERYWHERE ELSE IN EVERY SINGLE PLACE IN THE MEDIA?
    Last edited by pollymaepry; May 4, 2012 at 11:08 AM.

3 members found this post helpful.

If you're offended by blurred out nudity, you'll also probably be offended by "B____"

Or if you're not a misogynist.

edit: I don't think you hate women, but I do think you were glibbing again.
    Last edited by Batman The Horse; May 4, 2012 at 11:16 AM.

As I understand it, being a misogynist means you hate all women. So then BatHorse, if I get you correctly, what you're saying is that if you're comfortable with the use of a swear word in comedy, that means you hate all of the people to which that swear word applies?

Let me put this another way - if there were a show called "Look Out For That D*%k", about a guy in an office who was a dick, I would not assume that people who enjoyed the show or thought the title was funny hated all men.

I stand up for your right to think the show is bad or to not like the title. But I don't follow the logic that if I *do* think it's funny or like the title, that automatically means I hate all women. And I don't agree that "bitch" is equivalent to "n-word" (can't even write it out any more, can we?). It is equivalent to "dick", though.

Comedy is often about seeing people at their worst. For me, I'm more offended by sitcoms like "Three's Company" where lying gets you out of any jam. I don't call people liars just because they like the show. I think they have bad taste. That's just my opinion.

I also think that while words do have power, we also need angry words to express ourselves. I'd be all for using generic angry words if they worked. Thing is, there are men and women (and transexuals and gays and lesbians), and sometimes it's useful to have gender specific words to help communicate an idea.

There is no doubt that most people would consider the main character in Apt 23 a bitch. If you have another word I can use that sums up the idea of a woman who is only in it for herself and is a bit viscous in one word, then we could use that word, but I expect you'd think I was misogynist for even thinking that was a good idea.

As far as I'm concerned (and I may be wrong about this), there's two ways the B-word can be used. One is the way that rappers and misogynists would use it (referring to women as "b-----s and hos", etc.), which I agree is appalling. But then there is using the word to describe a woman who is acting in a particular way, i.e. being overly aggressive, caring only about her own wants/needs, doing whatever she has to do to get ahead, even if means screwing over other people- traits that we would normally associate with men, actually.
    This is how the word is being used in the title of this show, I feel. It's referring to Ritter's character as a "b---ch" to describe her character, not to denigrate women. I feel like women call other women Bs from time to time, and it's OK. And the creator of this show is a woman, if people haven't noticed. That right there makes this a whole different situation than if it was a man who created the show.

So no, this is not really comparable to a show having the N-word in the title. It's more like if Larry David created a show called "The Schmuck Who Lives Downstairs". There's probably other, nicer words they could have used, but it does get across the nature of Ritter's character.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast