Page 24 of 109 FirstFirst ... 14192021222324252627282934 ... LastLast

Thread: Community thread

Re: Community thread

It was definitely a very easy joke... but to be honest I had forgotten about it 2 minutes later.

Quote Originally Posted by man124 View Post
    I would like to start a campaign to get Donald Glover some sort of award based exclusively on his performance in this episode. Every line he had was pure gold. Especially him talking to Jeff while Jeff was making his decision.
    That shit was BRILLIANT. Glover is a national fucking treasure.

Quote Originally Posted by Umlaut View Post
    I ended up really loving this episode, but I'll tell you, I started off very skeptical after that "Take a picture it will last longer" (Guy takes picture with his cell phone) joke at the beginning.

I mean, I'll come right out and say it...

I GROANED. (and not in the involuntary way where I enjoyed the joke, this was definite knowing disapproval)
    Oh Christ, the groaning again.

Quote Originally Posted by RoyalDutchOfDukes View Post
    Oh Christ, the groaning again.
    Just don't make eye contact and it'll go away. It's more afraid of you than you are of it.
    Twitter y Tumblr Mik Throntveit on Vine
    It wasn't really a shit show... more of an excrement parade.

The finale was hilarious.

Quote Originally Posted by man124 View Post
    I would like to start a campaign to get Donald Glover some sort of award based exclusively on his performance in this episode. Every line he had was pure gold. Especially him talking to Jeff while Jeff was making his decision.
    I gave him an award, but not exclusively on his performance in this episode (since it was for 2009).

http://www.showbizmonkeys.com/features.php?id=1545

But ANY award is better than NO award, right? Even if it's from a site that nobody knows or cares about?

Quote Originally Posted by TomHicks View Post
    That being said, unlike on Parks & Rec, I think the age gap is troubling.
    Well, Andy is twenty-nine and April is twenty-one, while Jeff has got to be in his midthirties and Annie is eighteen/nineteen. That might account for your unease.

Yeah, it's a little gross. Is Annie fresh out of high school or did she have some intervening time in some sort of asylum? I seem to remember something like that in her disturbing backstory.

But in the Tom Haverford Equation of 1/2xYourAge + 7 = Fair Game, Annie might not even meet the first part.
    Twarting you Tweets:geejaxies

I got the impression that Annie's asylum stay more or less overlapped with the end of her senior year in high school, rather than being a full year or more between HS and college. In the episode where Britta and Jeff are trying to "protect" her from Vaughn I think there may have even been references to her being 18 or 19, and there are lots of hints that she was in the same class as Troy, who also seems to have come straight from high school.

Joel McHale turns 39 in November of this year, although it's entirely possible that his character is supposed to be younger. There's no way he's playing 24, though, which is the age he would have to be for the x/2 + 7 calculation to "work."

I agree that if they try to make this a long-running relationship story line it's going to be a little bit uncomfortable. As a short-term flare-up that they both end up deciding was a disaster, though, it has a ton of storyline potential and offered a great way "out" of the silly Britta v. Slater situation. Assuming Annie and Jeff go further than a kiss, I'm guessing that both of the older women will be retracting their claims of love when they find out.

"Community" creator Dan Harmon is a guest on episode 4 of "The Grandma's Virginity Podcast". You can check it out on iTunes...

http://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/t...st/id371272108

Or grandmasvirginity.com

I regret not asking him about the creepiness of the Jeff and Annie relationship...

I'm finally caught up, and I loved Modern Warfare and English as a Second Language.

But this finale ended on a pretty sour note. I've already stated in this thread that Jeff and Annie weird me out but I am going to reiterate: No matter what the characters' age difference is their personalities make the pairing inappropriate. Annie is naive and extremely childlike, Jeff is an experienced smarmy lawyer scumbag. I can't see them together naturally because it seems like Annie is at best getting in over her head, and at worst being taken advantage of.

In fact the whole Slater-Britta-Jeff triangle didn't resonate with me either. Did anyone really believe Britta when she said "I love you"? it seemed out of place. The only way I'd buy that is if she was swept up in her competition with Slater. And bringing Slater back in such a prominent role seemed left field as well.

And wasn't Jeff's indecision between Britta and Slater almost the exact same reasoning Jack Donaghy gave with Nancy and Avery? One revealing who you are, the other helping you evolve into who you want to be? Except in 30 Rock I truly believed Jack was struggling with the decision, where Jeff just had it dropped in his lap. That and if 30 Rock went the same way as Community I guess the season finale would have had Jack in a parking lot making out with Cerie.

Did anyone else get tricked into watching fucking 100 Questions tonight after Community, in the Parks and Rec spot? I need to commiserate with someone over how fucking god damned awful it was!?!?!?
    Eyes are the losers in the skies.

You watched it? I put it on mute and re-watched some videos from the Cutest Things thread.

I started watching it, assuming (like many IMDBers) it was a 30 Rock sketch making fun of bad sitcoms. After the cold open there was a lot of screaming from all of my family, mostly "AND NBC WONT FUCKING BUY THE STRIP????" and then my father insisted on watching it, which meant I had to hear it from the other room. It was so tremendously bad!!!!!!
    Eyes are the losers in the skies.

100 Questions has long been canceled. NBC is just burning off the episodes they've already produced.

Like Newt said, "100 Questions" was picked up as a midseason replacement last fall by NBC. It never became a midseason replacement for anything, so NBC is just showing the 6 episodes that were produced over the summer.

I was talking about this over in the pilot season thread, pointing out that NBC has a habit of doing this, picking up shows that it's supposedly to going to save for midseason and then never showing them. The same season that "30 Rock" got picked up, there was another Lorne Michaels-produced series called "Thick and Thin", written by Paula Pell and starring Chris Parnell, that was picked up for midseason. I think the episodes eventually ended up airing one time on Bravo, but I never saw them.

I bet the same thing's probably going to happen with "Friends with Benefits" and "Perfect Couples" too. One of two things will happen in the fall: either "Outsourced" will do well enough that it stays on the air (God help us), or it won't do well and NBC will put "Parks and Recreation" back on the air quickly. I doubt they're going to branch out with comedies on other nights of the week.

Poor Big Suze.

On the bright side, this reminded me that there were still two seasons of "Peep Show" I was saving for later.

(In England, a six-episode season doesn't mean you got cancelled before your show began.)
    Erik Charles Nielsen is a moderately funny fellow... right?

100 Questions felt like a parody of a sitcom... in a bad way.
    Last edited by AstroChicken; June 11, 2010 at 12:04 PM.

it's a bummer that Jody Hill's wife was on it - I liked her in Observe & Report and Foot Fist Way but the writing on this show is so comical

actually, comical would've been a good idea

LinkBacks (?)

1. October 11, 2010, 2:29 AM