Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: BFF

BFF

"BFF" or Best Friends Forever stars Jessica St. Clair and Lennon Parham and is about two friends who lived on opposite ends of the country, but find themselves living together in NYC again.
    When Jessica (St. Clair) 's husband files for divorce, she flies across the country to seek comfort and move back in with her best friend Lennon (Parham). However, Lennon's boyfriend Joe (Luka Jones) has recently moved in and has turned Jessica's old room into his home office.

The series was created by Parham and St. Clair with the pilot directed by Fred Savage. The series is executive produced by St. Clair, Parham, Scot Armstrong ("The Hangover Part II") and Ravi Nandan and the production companies Universal Media Studios and American Work.

Six episodes of this were produced, and they will begin airing on NBC on Wednesday, April 4th.
    Interestingly, Adam Pally originally played the role of Joe, Lennon's boyfriend, in the pilot, but when "Happy Endings" was renewed, the role was recast with Jones. I assume NBC will be showing the original pilot, just as FOX did with "The New Girl".

Here's a behind the scenes look at the show:

1 members found this post helpful.

Re: BFF

Really excited for this.

Here's a profile on St. Clair/Parham, from last month.

I found this interesting:
    To write each episode, Parham and St. Clair record themselves doing improv, transcribe the routine, and write a script from there.

Yeah, why couldn't this have been the show NBC put all the push behind, instead of "Whitney" and "Chelsea"? Imagine if this was together in a Wednesday night block with the new Sarah Silverman show. That would be an hour-long block of female-oriented shows that would actually be worth watching.

3 members found this post helpful.

I assume NBC will be showing the original pilot, just as FOX did with "The New Girl".
    They reshot the pilot with Lukah. With the New Girl, they didn't recast the role, they just had Winston move in as a new character. BFF actually recast the role of Joe, so they needed to reshoot the pilot.

It's kind of strange that NBC is promoting this (and "Bent") so much, giving them web sites and everything. I don't remember them doing that with "100 Questions" or "Friends with Benefits" or other midseason shows; they just kind of dumped them in summer with little to no promotion. Has there ever been a show that's premiered in April that then went on to get picked up for a second season?* I guess "Parks & Recreation", but that was kind of a foregone conclusion that that was going to get picked up, it had Amy Poehler coming off of SNL and Greg Daniels behind it.

I imagine Parham and St. Clair aren't holding out much hope that they'll get to come back and start production on this show again, but you never know I guess. I wish them all the best.

*Edit: Oh, "Happy Endings", so yeah, I guess it isn't entirely out of the question. Still, "Happy Endings" had a 13-episode first season, the fact that they cut this off after 6 episodes doesn't bode well.

As St.Clair/Parham said in this article, other NBC comedies like The Office, and Seinfeld started off with 6-episodes at mid-season. That, on top of Happy Endings as you mentioned (a show that ABC absolutely buried in its first year, by putting it on at 10 PM and other shitty timeslots, but they were forced to renew it as it grew such a following with people), and I think BFF still has a chance to get another season.

I think BFF is in a better place than Bent in getting a second season, as BFF is on after the Betty Whiite hidden camera show, which will probably do well. Bent, meanwhile, is airing back-to-back episodes at 9 PM for its entire run, of only 6 episodes. It seems like NBC can't wait to get rid of Bent (though i've heard from critics that it's actually pretty good), while they are giving BFF a pretty plum timeslot for a new comedy at mid-season.

I havent watched yet, but I just noticed they put the first full episode up on Hulu today!

The first episode of this was pretty good. Maybe if they want to try the "all female comedy night" thing again, they can put this show with Sarah Silverman's show on Wednesday nights. I would probably continue to watch this if they keep up the quality of the pilot.

Edit: I also enjoy whenever Jessica St. Clair gets excited and her voice starts to sound like Marissa Wompler's

3 members found this post helpful.

Yeah, this and Sarah sure seem a heck of a lot better than Whitney and Chelsea.

I really enjoyed this. I think the plot will get better as it goes along (specifically the plot will probably become less important and focal) but the dialogue is amazing and quick. Plus it has the most interesting writing process I've heard about in a while.

Jessica St. Clair: The way we write our scripts is we improvise. And then we tape record ourselves and then we transcribe it. And then wthat becomes our first draft.
    Lennon Parham:
    So essentially we have the idea for the scene and we act it out in our tiny writer’s office or in our living room when we didn’t have a writer’s office and record ourselves.
    Jessica St. Clair: So we play all the parts. And Lennon actually plays most of the male parts. And I’ve got to say, she can say some really romantic things.
    Lennon Parham: It can get really pretty heated. Our husbands are very disturbed sometimes when they get home from work. They are like, "You wrote that? That lives in your mind?" I’m like, "Yeah, say these things to me."
    Jessica: "We improvise and we tape record ourselves."
    Lennon: "It's weird."
    Jessica: "So we are in our bedroom in our pajamas, basically -- we write in our pajamas all day. Our husbands are like, 'Please put on pants.'"
    Lennon: "Unless we're in our office ... then we put on like loose-fitting pants."
    Jessica: "So we improvise, then we tape record ourselves, then we transcribe it. I have a little journal [laughs] and I transcribe all these scenes by hand, and then we take our best takes and put them together into a script. And then we rewrite. The writers help us break the stories and punch things up, but when it comes to the actual dialogue between Lennon and I, we have to improvise it, because otherwise, it won't feel like the weird way we really talk. The most awkward stuff is when it's a romantic scene, let's say. Lennon plays the man."
    Lennon: "Stop."
    Jessica: "She says things to me that I wish a man would say. She knows the way to my heart. It gets heated."
    Lennon: "Too far."
    Last edited by jkwall; April 4, 2012 at 9:23 PM. Reason: Second quote

I didn't know what to expect but I loved the hell out of this. Some lumpy moments (anything with "Rav"), but otherwise a damn fine first episode.

(maybe my girlfriend will fall in love with this show and stop watching New Girl)

LOVED it. I now have a girl crush on Lennon. (It's mostly related to how she delivered the Braveheart quotes)

Let's get in front of this people!
    "That dancer and I became really close friends. And back then he wasn't known as K-Fed or Federline. Back then his name was Chad Farthouse." -Zach Galifianakis

Adult Swim's Welcome Pages

I liked the second episode a lot. Like, a lot a lot. Much funnier than the pilot which I liked but felt was kinda icky on the dramatic/emotional parts.

Anybody notice the picture of a young Fred Savage in the opening credits?

It seems like that guy from "Good Neighbor" is popping up in lots of stuff these days. He always seems to be playing some variation of the character he did on Norm Macdonald's "Sports Show" (I think he was supposed to be Norm's nephew or something?) and it always cracks up me.

I find myself being drawn to shows with characters that I could see myself hanging out with. I want to be Jessica and Lennon's new bestie, so this is my new favorite show. (End stalker behavior)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast